Role of Unsaturated Lipid and Ergosterol in Ethanol Tolerance of Model Yeast Biomembranes
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Online Publication Date2012-02-07
Print Publication Date2012-02
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/555601
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe present a combined atomic force microscopy and fluorescence microscopy study of the behavior of a ternary supported lipid bilayer system containing a saturated lipid (DPPC), an unsaturated lipid (DOPC), and ergosterol in the presence of high ethanol (20 vol %). We find that the fluorescent probe Texas Red DHPE preferentially partitions into the ethanol-induced interdigitated phase, which allows the use of fluorescence imaging to investigate the phase behavior of the system. Atomic force microscopy and fluorescence images of samples with the same lipid mixture show good agreement in sample morphology and area fractions of the observed phases. Using area fractions obtained from fluorescence images over a broad range of compositions, we constructed a phase diagram of the DPPC/DOPC/ergosterol system at 20 vol % ethanol. The phase diagram clearly shows that increasing unsaturated lipid and/or ergosterol protects the membrane by preventing the formation of the interdigitated phase. This result supports the hypothesis that yeast cells increase ergosterol and unsaturated lipid content to prevent interdigitation and maintain an optimal membrane thickness as ethanol concentration increases during anaerobic fermentations. Changes in plasma membrane composition provide an important survival factor for yeast cells to deter ethanol toxicity.
CitationRole of Unsaturated Lipid and Ergosterol in Ethanol Tolerance of Model Yeast Biomembranes 2012, 102 (3):507 Biophysical Journal
PubMed Central IDPMC3274781
- Elasticity and phase behavior of DPPC membrane modulated by cholesterol, ergosterol, and ethanol.
- Authors: Tierney KJ, Block DE, Longo ML
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Influence of ethanol on lipid/sterol membranes: phase diagram construction from AFM imaging.
- Authors: Vanegas JM, Faller R, Longo ML
- Issue date: 2010 Jul 6
- Using ergosterol to mitigate the deleterious effects of ethanol on bilayer structure.
- Authors: Dickey AN, Yim WS, Faller R
- Issue date: 2009 Feb 26
- Ethanol effects on binary and ternary supported lipid bilayers with gel/fluid domains and lipid rafts.
- Authors: Marquês JT, Viana AS, De Almeida RF
- Issue date: 2011 Jan
- Biophysical properties of ergosterol-enriched lipid rafts in yeast and tools for their study: characterization of ergosterol/phosphatidylcholine membranes with three fluorescent membrane probes.
- Authors: Bastos AE, Marinho HS, Cordeiro AM, de Soure AM, de Almeida RF
- Issue date: 2012 Jul