Adaptation of intertidal biofilm communities is driven by metal ion and oxidative stresses
Lee, On On
Online Publication Date2013-11-11
Print Publication Date2013-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/554385
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMarine organisms in intertidal zones are subjected to periodical fluctuations and wave activities. To understand how microbes in intertidal biofilms adapt to the stresses, the microbial metagenomes of biofilms from intertidal and subtidal zones were compared. The genes responsible for resistance to metal ion and oxidative stresses were enriched in both 6-day and 12-day intertidal biofilms, including genes associated with secondary metabolism, inorganic ion transport and metabolism, signal transduction and extracellular polymeric substance metabolism. In addition, these genes were more enriched in 12-day than 6-day intertidal biofilms. We hypothesize that a complex signaling network is used for stress tolerance and propose a model illustrating the relationships between these functions and environmental metal ion concentrations and oxidative stresses. These findings show that bacteria use diverse mechanisms to adapt to intertidal zones and indicate that the community structures of intertidal biofilms are modulated by metal ion and oxidative stresses.
CitationAdaptation of intertidal biofilm communities is driven by metal ion and oxidative stresses 2013, 3 Scientific Reports
SponsorsThis study was supported by the Nationa Basic Research Program of China (973 program, 2012CB417304), the Development Program of China (863 program, 2012AA092103), The Sanya Institute of Deep-Sea Science and Engineering (SIDSSE201206), General Research Fund (661611) of HKSAR Government and Global Collaborative Research Award from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (SA-C0040/UK C0016).
PubMed Central IDPMC3822395
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Metagenomic Analysis of Zinc Surface-Associated Marine Biofilms.
- Authors: Ding W, Zhang W, Alikunhi NM, Batang Z, Pei B, Wang R, Chen L, Al-Suwailem A, Qian PY
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Molecular techniques revealed highly diverse microbial communities in natural marine biofilms on polystyrene dishes for invertebrate larval settlement.
- Authors: Lee OO, Chung HC, Yang J, Wang Y, Dash S, Wang H, Qian PY
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Role of intertidal microbial communities in carbon dioxide sequestration and pollutant removal: A review.
- Authors: Mandal A, Dutta A, Das R, Mukherjee J
- Issue date: 2021 Sep
- Metabolites associated with adaptation of microorganisms to an acidophilic, metal-rich environment identified by stable-isotope-enabled metabolomics.
- Authors: Mosier AC, Justice NB, Bowen BP, Baran R, Thomas BC, Northen TR, Banfield JF
- Issue date: 2013 Mar 12
- Intraspecific Variation in Microbial Symbiont Communities of the Sun Sponge, Hymeniacidon heliophila, from Intertidal and Subtidal Habitats.
- Authors: Weigel BL, Erwin PM
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 15