Trypanosoma brucei Tb927.2.6100 Is an Essential Protein Associated with Kinetoplast DNA
KAUST DepartmentBioscience Core Lab
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe mitochondrial DNA of trypanosomatid protozoa consists of a complex, intercatenated network of tens of maxicircles and thousands of minicircles. This structure, called kinetoplast DNA (kDNA), requires numerous proteins and multiprotein complexes for replication, segregation, and transcription. In this study, we used a proteomic approach to identify proteins that are associated with the kDNA network. We identified a novel protein encoded by Tb927.2.6100 that was present in a fraction enriched for kDNA and colocalized the protein with kDNA by fluorescence microscopy. RNA interference (RNAi) knockdown of its expression resulted in a growth defect and changes in the proportion of kinetoplasts and nuclei in the cell population. RNAi also resulted in shrinkage and loss of the kinetoplasts, loss of maxicircle and minicircle components of kDNA at similar rates, and (perhaps secondarily) loss of edited and pre-edited mRNA. These results indicate that the Tb927.2.6100 protein is essential for the maintenance of kDNA.
CitationTrypanosoma brucei Tb927.2.6100 Is an Essential Protein Associated with Kinetoplast DNA 2013, 12 (7):970 Eukaryotic Cell
PublisherAmerican Society for Microbiology
PubMed Central IDPMC3697465
- TbKAP6, a mitochondrial HMG box-containing protein in Trypanosoma brucei, is the first trypanosomatid kinetoplast-associated protein essential for kinetoplast DNA replication and maintenance.
- Authors: Wang J, Pappas-Brown V, Englund PT, Jensen RE
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Mitochondrial heat shock protein machinery hsp70/hsp40 is indispensable for proper mitochondrial DNA maintenance and replication.
- Authors: Týč J, Klingbeil MM, Lukeš J
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 10
- Stem-loop silencing reveals that a third mitochondrial DNA polymerase, POLID, is required for kinetoplast DNA replication in trypanosomes.
- Authors: Chandler J, Vandoros AV, Mozeleski B, Klingbeil MM
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Kinetoplast DNA-encoded ribosomal protein S12: a possible functional link between mitochondrial RNA editing and translation in Trypanosoma brucei.
- Authors: Aphasizheva I, Maslov DA, Aphasizhev R
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- TbPIF8, a Trypanosoma brucei protein related to the yeast Pif1 helicase, is essential for cell viability and mitochondrial genome maintenance.
- Authors: Wang J, Englund PT, Jensen RE
- Issue date: 2012 Feb