Importance of the Genetic Diversity within the Mycobacterium tuberculosis Complex for the Development of Novel Antibiotics and Diagnostic Tests of Drug Resistance
KAUST DepartmentComputational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDespite being genetically monomorphic, the limited genetic diversity within the Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex (MTBC) has practical consequences for molecular methods for drug susceptibility testing and for the use of current antibiotics and those in clinical trials. It renders some representatives of MTBC intrinsically resistant against one or multiple antibiotics and affects the spectrum and consequences of resistance mutations selected for during treatment. Moreover, neutral or silent changes within genes responsible for drug resistance can cause false-positive results with hybridization-based assays, which have been recently introduced to replace slower phenotypic methods. We discuss the consequences of these findings and propose concrete steps to rigorously assess the genetic diversity of MTBC to support ongoing clinical trials.
CitationImportance of the Genetic Diversity within the Mycobacterium tuberculosis Complex for the Development of Novel Antibiotics and Diagnostic Tests of Drug Resistance 2012, 56 (12):6080 Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy
PublisherAmerican Society for Microbiology
PubMed Central IDPMC3497208
- Phylogenetic polymorphisms in antibiotic resistance genes of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex.
- Authors: Feuerriegel S, Köser CU, Niemann S
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Impact of Fgd1 and ddn diversity in Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex on in vitro susceptibility to PA-824.
- Authors: Feuerriegel S, Köser CU, Baù D, Rüsch-Gerdes S, Summers DK, Archer JA, Marti-Renom MA, Niemann S
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Rifampin heteroresistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis cultures as detected by phenotypic and genotypic drug susceptibility test methods.
- Authors: Folkvardsen DB, Thomsen VØ, Rigouts L, Rasmussen EM, Bang D, Bernaerts G, Werngren J, Toro JC, Hoffner S, Hillemann D, Svensson E
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Evaluation of the GenoType MTBDRplus assay for rifampin and isoniazid susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains and clinical specimens.
- Authors: Hillemann D, Rüsch-Gerdes S, Richter E
- Issue date: 2007 Aug
- Strain diversity, epistasis and the evolution of drug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Authors: Borrell S, Gagneux S
- Issue date: 2011 Jun