Importance of the Genetic Diversity within the Mycobacterium tuberculosis Complex for the Development of Novel Antibiotics and Diagnostic Tests of Drug Resistance
KAUST DepartmentComputational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
Online Publication Date2012-09-24
Print Publication Date2012-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/554104
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDespite being genetically monomorphic, the limited genetic diversity within the Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex (MTBC) has practical consequences for molecular methods for drug susceptibility testing and for the use of current antibiotics and those in clinical trials. It renders some representatives of MTBC intrinsically resistant against one or multiple antibiotics and affects the spectrum and consequences of resistance mutations selected for during treatment. Moreover, neutral or silent changes within genes responsible for drug resistance can cause false-positive results with hybridization-based assays, which have been recently introduced to replace slower phenotypic methods. We discuss the consequences of these findings and propose concrete steps to rigorously assess the genetic diversity of MTBC to support ongoing clinical trials.
CitationImportance of the Genetic Diversity within the Mycobacterium tuberculosis Complex for the Development of Novel Antibiotics and Diagnostic Tests of Drug Resistance 2012, 56 (12):6080 Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy
PublisherAmerican Society for Microbiology
PubMed Central IDPMC3497208
- Phylogenetic polymorphisms in antibiotic resistance genes of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex.
- Authors: Feuerriegel S, Köser CU, Niemann S
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Rifampin heteroresistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis cultures as detected by phenotypic and genotypic drug susceptibility test methods.
- Authors: Folkvardsen DB, Thomsen VØ, Rigouts L, Rasmussen EM, Bang D, Bernaerts G, Werngren J, Toro JC, Hoffner S, Hillemann D, Svensson E
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Evaluation of the GenoType MTBDRplus assay for rifampin and isoniazid susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains and clinical specimens.
- Authors: Hillemann D, Rüsch-Gerdes S, Richter E
- Issue date: 2007 Aug
- Concordance between molecular and phenotypic testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex isolates for resistance to rifampin and isoniazid in the United States.
- Authors: Yakrus MA, Driscoll J, Lentz AJ, Sikes D, Hartline D, Metchock B, Starks AM
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Rapid genotypic detection of rifampin- and isoniazid-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis directly in clinical specimens.
- Authors: Bang D, Bengård Andersen A, Thomsen VØ
- Issue date: 2006 Jul