A High Temperature Experimental and Theoretical Study of the Unimolecular Dissociation of 1,3,5-Trioxane
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUnimolecular dissociation of 1,3,5-trioxane was investigated experimentally and theoretically over a wide range of conditions. Experiments were performed behind reflected shock waves over the temperature range of 775-1082 K and pressures near 900 Torr using a high-repetition rate time of flight mass spectrometer (TOF-MS) coupled to a shock tube (ST). Reaction products were identified directly, and it was found that formaldehyde is the sole product of 1,3,5-trioxane dissociation. Reaction rate coefficients were extracted by the best fit to the experimentally measured concentration-time histories. Additionally, high-level quantum chemical and RRKM calculations were employed to study the falloff behavior of 1,3,5-trioxane dissociation. Molecular geometries and frequencies of all species were obtained at the B3LYP/cc-pVTZ, MP2/cc-pVTZ, and MP2/aug-cc-pVDZ levels of theory, whereas the single-point energies of the stationary points were calculated using coupled cluster with single and double excitations including the perturbative treatment of triple excitation (CCSD(T)) level of theory. It was found that the dissociation occurs via a concerted mechanism requiring an energy barrier of 48.3 kcal/mol to be overcome. The new experimental data and theoretical calculations serve as a validation and extension of kinetic data published earlier by other groups. Calculated values for the pressure limiting rate coefficient can be expressed as log10 k∞ (s-1) = [15.84 - (49.54 (kcal/mol)/2.3RT)] (500-1400 K). © 2015 American Chemical Society.
CitationA High Temperature Experimental and Theoretical Study of the Unimolecular Dissociation of 1,3,5-Trioxane 2015:150515134058009 The Journal of Physical Chemistry A
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Cis-cis and trans-perp HOONO: action spectroscopy and isomerization kinetics.
- Authors: Fry JL, Nizkorodov SA, Okumura M, Roehl CM, Francisco JS, Wennberg PO
- Issue date: 2004 Jul 15
- Quantum chemical calculations of the Cl- + CH3I --> CH3Cl + I- potential energy surface.
- Authors: Zhang J, Lourderaj U, Addepalli SV, de Jong WA, Hase WL
- Issue date: 2009 Mar 12
- Experimental and theoretical analysis of the kinetics of the reaction of atomic bromine with 1,4-dioxane.
- Authors: Giri BR, Roscoe JM, González-García N, Olzmann M
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 14
- Theoretical study of the reaction kinetics of atomic bromine with tetrahydropyran.
- Authors: Giri BR, Lo JM, Roscoe JM, Alquaity AB, Farooq A
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 12
- Experimental and theoretical investigation of the kinetics of the reaction of atomic chlorine with 1,4-dioxane.
- Authors: Giri BR, Roscoe JM, González-García N, Olzmann M, Lo JM, Marriott RA
- Issue date: 2011 May 26