Single-Molecule Imaging with X-Ray Free-Electron Lasers: Dream or Reality?
KAUST DepartmentPRIMALIGHT Research Group
Electrical Engineering Program
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/552991
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractX-ray free-electron lasers (XFEL) are revolutionary photon sources, whose ultrashort, brilliant pulses are expected to allow single-molecule diffraction experiments providing structural information on the atomic length scale of nonperiodic objects. This ultimate goal, however, is currently hampered by several challenging questions basically concerning sample damage, Coulomb explosion, and the role of nonlinearity. By employing an original ab initio approach, we address these issues showing that XFEL-based single-molecule imaging will be only possible with a few-hundred long attosecond pulses, due to significant radiation damage and the formation of preferred multisoliton clusters which reshape the overall electronic density of the molecular system at the femtosecond scale.
CitationSingle-Molecule Imaging with X-Ray Free-Electron Lasers: Dream or Reality? 2011, 106 (10) Physical Review Letters
PublisherAmerican Physical Society (APS)
JournalPhysical Review Letters
- Theoretical study of electronic damage in single-particle imaging experiments at x-ray free-electron lasers for pulse durations from 0.1 to 10 fs.
- Authors: Gorobtsov OY, Lorenz U, Kabachnik NM, Vartanyants IA
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Impact of ultrafast electronic damage in single-particle x-ray imaging experiments.
- Authors: Lorenz U, Kabachnik NM, Weckert E, Vartanyants IA
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- On the feasibility of nanocrystal imaging using intense and ultrashort X-ray pulses.
- Authors: Caleman C, Huldt G, Maia FR, Ortiz C, Parak FG, Hajdu J, van der Spoel D, Chapman HN, Timneanu N
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 25
- Sacrificial tamper slows down sample explosion in FLASH diffraction experiments.
- Authors: Hau-Riege SP, Boutet S, Barty A, Bajt S, Bogan MJ, Frank M, Andreasson J, Iwan B, Seibert MM, Hajdu J, Sakdinawat A, Schulz J, Treusch R, Chapman HN
- Issue date: 2010 Feb 12
- Three-dimensional structure determination protocol for noncrystalline biomolecules using x-ray free-electron laser diffraction imaging.
- Authors: Oroguchi T, Nakasako M
- Issue date: 2013 Feb