Diffusive Spin Dynamics in Ferromagnetic Thin Films with a Rashba Interaction
KAUST DepartmentMaterial Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Spintronics Theory Group
Preprint Posting Date2011-11-04
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/552864
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn a ferromagnetic metal layer, the coupled charge and spin diffusion equations are obtained in the presence of both Rashba spin-orbit interaction and magnetism. The misalignment between the magnetization and the nonequilibrium spin density induced by the Rashba field gives rise to Rashba spin torque acting on the ferromagnetic order parameter. In a general form, we find that the Rashba torque consists of both in-plane and out-of-plane components, i.e., T=T Sy×m+T Sm×(y×m). Numerical simulations on a two-dimensional nanowire consider the impact of diffusion on the Rashba torque and reveal a large enhancement to the ratio T/T S for thin wires. Our theory provides an explanation for the mechanism driving the magnetization switching in a single ferromagnet as observed in the recent experiments. © 2012 American Physical Society.
CitationDiffusive Spin Dynamics in Ferromagnetic Thin Films with a Rashba Interaction 2012, 108 (11) Physical Review Letters
PublisherAmerican Physical Society (APS)
JournalPhysical Review Letters
- Field-Free Spin-Orbit Torque Switching of Perpendicular Magnetization by the Rashba Interface.
- Authors: Cui B, Wu H, Li D, Razavi SA, Wu D, Wong KL, Chang M, Gao M, Zuo Y, Xi L, Wang KL
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 23
- Quantifying interface and bulk contributions to spin-orbit torque in magnetic bilayers.
- Authors: Fan X, Celik H, Wu J, Ni C, Lee KJ, Lorenz VO, Xiao JQ
- Issue date: 2014
- Prediction of giant spin motive force due to Rashba spin-orbit coupling.
- Authors: Kim KW, Moon JH, Lee KJ, Lee HW
- Issue date: 2012 May 25
- Spin-orbit coupling induced spin-transfer torque and current polarization in topological-insulator/ferromagnet vertical heterostructures.
- Authors: Mahfouzi F, Nagaosa N, Nikolić BK
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 19
- Magnetization dynamics induced by the Rashba effect in ferromagnetic films.
- Authors: Yu Z, Chen J, Zhang L, Xing Y, Wang J
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 21