Diffusive Spin Dynamics in Ferromagnetic Thin Films with a Rashba Interaction
KAUST DepartmentMaterials Science and Engineering Program
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Preprint Posting Date2011-11-04
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/552864
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn a ferromagnetic metal layer, the coupled charge and spin diffusion equations are obtained in the presence of both Rashba spin-orbit interaction and magnetism. The misalignment between the magnetization and the nonequilibrium spin density induced by the Rashba field gives rise to Rashba spin torque acting on the ferromagnetic order parameter. In a general form, we find that the Rashba torque consists of both in-plane and out-of-plane components, i.e., T=T Sy×m+T Sm×(y×m). Numerical simulations on a two-dimensional nanowire consider the impact of diffusion on the Rashba torque and reveal a large enhancement to the ratio T/T S for thin wires. Our theory provides an explanation for the mechanism driving the magnetization switching in a single ferromagnet as observed in the recent experiments. © 2012 American Physical Society.
CitationDiffusive Spin Dynamics in Ferromagnetic Thin Films with a Rashba Interaction 2012, 108 (11) Physical Review Letters
PublisherAmerican Physical Society (APS)
JournalPhysical Review Letters
- Field-Free Spin-Orbit Torque Switching of Perpendicular Magnetization by the Rashba Interface.
- Authors: Cui B, Wu H, Li D, Razavi SA, Wu D, Wong KL, Chang M, Gao M, Zuo Y, Xi L, Wang KL
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 23
- Optical spin transfer and spin-orbit torques in thin film ferromagnets.
- Authors: Li J, Haney PM
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Quantifying interface and bulk contributions to spin-orbit torque in magnetic bilayers.
- Authors: Fan X, Celik H, Wu J, Ni C, Lee KJ, Lorenz VO, Xiao JQ
- Issue date: 2014
- Perpendicular switching of a single ferromagnetic layer induced by in-plane current injection.
- Authors: Miron IM, Garello K, Gaudin G, Zermatten PJ, Costache MV, Auffret S, Bandiera S, Rodmacq B, Schuhl A, Gambardella P
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 11
- Prediction of giant spin motive force due to Rashba spin-orbit coupling.
- Authors: Kim KW, Moon JH, Lee KJ, Lee HW
- Issue date: 2012 May 25