Cyclic mononucleotides modulate potassium and calcium flux responses to H2O2 in Arabidopsis roots
AuthorsOrdoñez, Natalia Maria
Gehring, Christoph A
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Bioscience Core Lab
Molecular Signalling Group
Online Publication Date2014-02-13
Print Publication Date2014-03-18
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/552388
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCyclic mononucleotides are messengers in plant stress responses. Here we show that hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) induces rapid net K+-efflux and Ca2+-influx in Arabidopsis roots. Pre-treatment with either 10 μM cAMP or cGMP for 1 or 24 h does significantly reduce net K+-leakage and Ca2+-influx, and in the case of the K+-fluxes, the cell permeant cyclic mononucleotides are more effective. We also examined the effect of 10 μM of the cell permeant 8-Br-cGMP on the Arabidopsis microsomal proteome and noted a specific increase in proteins with a role in stress responses and ion transport, suggesting that cGMP is sufficient to directly and/or indirectly induce complex adaptive changes to cellular stresses induced by H2O2. © 2014 Federation of European Biochemical Societies. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
CitationCyclic mononucleotides modulate potassium and calcium flux responses to H2O2 in Arabidopsis roots 2014, 588 (6):1008 FEBS Letters
- Annexin 1 regulates the H2O2-induced calcium signature in Arabidopsis thaliana roots.
- Authors: Richards SL, Laohavisit A, Mortimer JC, Shabala L, Swarbreck SM, Shabala S, Davies JM
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Both cyclic-AMP and cyclic-GMP can act as regulators of the phenylpropanoid pathway in Arabidopsis thaliana seedlings.
- Authors: Pietrowska-Borek M, Nuc K
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- cGMP modulates gene transcription and cation transport in Arabidopsis roots.
- Authors: Maathuis FJ
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- Differing effects of cGMP and cAMP on ion transport across flounder intestine.
- Authors: Rao MC, Nash NT, Field M
- Issue date: 1984 Jan
- Hydrogen peroxide is involved in cGMP modulating the lateral root development of Arabidopsis thaliana.
- Authors: Li J, Jia H
- Issue date: 2013 Aug