Cyclic mononucleotides modulate potassium and calcium flux responses to H2O2 in Arabidopsis roots
AuthorsOrdoñez, Natalia Maria
Gehring, Christoph A
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Bioscience Core Lab
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCyclic mononucleotides are messengers in plant stress responses. Here we show that hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) induces rapid net K+-efflux and Ca2+-influx in Arabidopsis roots. Pre-treatment with either 10 μM cAMP or cGMP for 1 or 24 h does significantly reduce net K+-leakage and Ca2+-influx, and in the case of the K+-fluxes, the cell permeant cyclic mononucleotides are more effective. We also examined the effect of 10 μM of the cell permeant 8-Br-cGMP on the Arabidopsis microsomal proteome and noted a specific increase in proteins with a role in stress responses and ion transport, suggesting that cGMP is sufficient to directly and/or indirectly induce complex adaptive changes to cellular stresses induced by H2O2. © 2014 Federation of European Biochemical Societies. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
CitationCyclic mononucleotides modulate potassium and calcium flux responses to H2O2 in Arabidopsis roots 2014, 588 (6):1008 FEBS Letters
- Annexin 1 regulates the H2O2-induced calcium signature in Arabidopsis thaliana roots.
- Authors: Richards SL, Laohavisit A, Mortimer JC, Shabala L, Swarbreck SM, Shabala S, Davies JM
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Both cyclic-AMP and cyclic-GMP can act as regulators of the phenylpropanoid pathway in Arabidopsis thaliana seedlings.
- Authors: Pietrowska-Borek M, Nuc K
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Hydrogen peroxide is involved in cGMP modulating the lateral root development of Arabidopsis thaliana.
- Authors: Li J, Jia H
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- cGMP regulates hydrogen peroxide accumulation in calcium-dependent salt resistance pathway in Arabidopsis thaliana roots.
- Authors: Li J, Wang X, Zhang Y, Jia H, Bi Y
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- cGMP modulates gene transcription and cation transport in Arabidopsis roots.
- Authors: Maathuis FJ
- Issue date: 2006 Mar