Phosphate and arsenate removal efficiency by thermostable ferritin enzyme from Pyrococcus furiosus using radioisotopes
Vrouwenvelder, Johannes S.
Wolterbeek, Hubert Th.
van Loosdrecht, Mark C.M.
Hagen, Wilfred R.
KAUST DepartmentEnvironmental Science and Engineering Program
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Online Publication Date2015-03-13
Print Publication Date2015-06
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/552309
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOxo-anion binding properties of the thermostable enzyme ferritin from Pyrococcus furiosus were characterized with radiography. Radioisotopes 32P and 76As present as oxoanions were used to measure the extent and the rate of their absorption by the ferritin. Thermostable ferritin proved to be an excellent system for rapid phosphate and arsenate removal from aqueous solutions down to residual concentrations at the picomolar level. These very low concentrations make thermostable ferritin a potential tool to considerably mitigate industrial biofouling by phosphate limitation or to remove arsenate from drinking water.
CitationPhosphate and arsenate removal efficiency by thermostable ferritin enzyme from Pyrococcus furiosus using radioisotopes 2015, 76:181 Water Research
- Development of a bionanotechnological phosphate removal system with thermostable ferritin.
- Authors: Jacobs JF, Hasan MN, Paik KH, Hagen WR, van Loosdrecht MC
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 1
- Arsenate removal by zero valent iron: batch and column tests.
- Authors: Biterna M, Arditsoglou A, Tsikouras E, Voutsa D
- Issue date: 2007 Nov 19
- Phosphate accelerates displacement of Fe(III) by Fe(II) in the ferroxidase center of Pyrococcus furiosus ferritin.
- Authors: Honarmand Ebrahimi K, Hagedoorn PL, Hagen WR
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 16
- Voltammetry of Pyrococcus furiosus ferritin: dependence of iron release rate on mediator potential.
- Authors: Tatur J, Hagen WR, Heering HA
- Issue date: 2009 Apr 21
- The effect of co-existing solutes on arsenate removal with hydrotalcite compound.
- Authors: Kiso Y, Jung YJ, Yamamoto H, Oguchi T, Kuzawa K, Yamada T, Kim SS, Ahn KH
- Issue date: 2010