Nkx2.1-derived astrocytes and neurons together with Slit2 are indispensable for anterior commissure formation
Ypsilanti, Athena R.
Allen, Elizabeth A.
Online Publication Date2015-04-23
Print Publication Date2015-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/551010
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGuidepost cells present at and surrounding the midline provide guidance cues that orient the growing axons through commissures. Here we show that the transcription factor Nkx2.1 known to control the specification of GABAergic interneurons also regulates the differentiation of astroglia and polydendrocytes within the mouse anterior commissure (AC). Nkx2.1-positive glia were found to originate from three germinal regions of the ventral telencephalon. Nkx2.1-derived glia were observed in and around the AC region by E14.5. Thereafter, a selective cell ablation strategy showed a synergistic role of Nkx2.1-derived cells, both GABAergic interneurons and astroglia, towards the proper formation of the AC. Finally, our results reveal that the Nkx2.1-regulated cells mediate AC axon guidance through the expression of the repellent cue, Slit2. These results bring forth interesting insights about the spatial and temporal origin of midline telencephalic glia, and highlight the importance of neurons and astroglia towards the formation of midline commissures.
CitationNkx2.1-derived astrocytes and neurons together with Slit2 are indispensable for anterior commissure formation 2015, 6:6887 Nature Communications
PubMed Central IDPMC4423212
- Two specific populations of GABAergic neurons originating from the medial and the caudal ganglionic eminences aid in proper navigation of callosal axons.
- Authors: Niquille M, Minocha S, Hornung JP, Rufer N, Valloton D, Kessaris N, Alfonsi F, Vitalis T, Yanagawa Y, Devenoges C, Dayer A, Lebrand C
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Origin and molecular specification of striatal interneurons.
- Authors: Marin O, Anderson SA, Rubenstein JL
- Issue date: 2000 Aug 15
- Shh maintains Nkx2.1 in the MGE by a Gli3-independent mechanism.
- Authors: Gulacsi A, Anderson SA
- Issue date: 2006 Jul
- Hedgehog regulated Slit expression determines commissure and glial cell position in the zebrafish forebrain.
- Authors: Barresi MJ, Hutson LD, Chien CB, Karlstrom RO
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Ldb1 is essential for development of Nkx2.1 lineage derived GABAergic and cholinergic neurons in the telencephalon.
- Authors: Zhao Y, Flandin P, Vogt D, Blood A, Hermesz E, Westphal H, Rubenstein JL
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 1