Cyphastrea kausti sp. n. (Cnidaria, Anthozoa, Scleractinia), a new species of reef coral from the Red Sea
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Marine Science Program
Red Sea Research Center (RSRC)
Reef Ecology Lab
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/550821
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA new scleractinian coral species, Cyphastrea kausti sp. n., is described from 13 specimens from the Red Sea. It is characterised by the presence of eight primary septa, unlike the other species of the genus, which have six, ten or 12 primary septa. The new species has morphological affinities with Cyphastrea microphthalma, from which it can be distinguished by the lower number of septa (on average eight instead of ten), and smaller calices and corallites. This species was observed in the northern and central Red Sea and appears to be absent from the southern Red Sea.
CitationCyphastrea kausti sp. n. (Cnidaria, Anthozoa, Scleractinia), a new species of reef coral from the Red Sea 2015, 496:1 ZooKeys
PubMed Central IDPMC4410153
- Echinophyllia tarae sp. n. (Cnidaria, Anthozoa, Scleractinia), a new reef coral species from the Gambier Islands, French Polynesia.
- Authors: Benzoni F
- Issue date: 2013
- Pachyseris inattesa sp. n. (Cnidaria, Anthozoa, Scleractinia): a new reef coral species from the Red Sea and its phylogenetic relationships.
- Authors: Terraneo TI, Berumen ML, Arrigoni R, Waheed Z, Bouwmeester J, Caragnano A, Stefani F, Benzoni F
- Issue date: 2014
- <i>Cyphastrea salae</i>, a new species of hard coral from Lord Howe Island, Australia (Scleractinia, Merulinidae).
- Authors: Baird AH, Hoogenboom MO, Huang D
- Issue date: 2017
- Search for mesophotic octocorals (Cnidaria, Anthozoa) and their phylogeny. II. A new zooxanthellate species from Eilat, northern Red Sea.
- Authors: Benayahu Y, McFadden CS, Shoham E, van Ofwegen LP
- Issue date: 2017
- A new species of <i>Arachnanthus</i> from the Red Sea (Cnidaria, Ceriantharia).
- Authors: Stampar SN, Didi SOE, Paulay G, Berumen ML
- Issue date: 2018