A red and far-red light receptor mutation confers resistance to the herbicide glyphosate
Microsoft Word 2007
Microsoft Word 2007
Narasimhan, Meena L.
Bressan, Ray A.
Gehring, Christoph A
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/550789
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGlyphosate is a widely applied broad-spectrum systemic herbicide that inhibits competitively the penultimate enzyme 5-enolpyruvylshikimate 3-phosphate synthase (EPSPS) from the shikimate pathway, thereby causing deleterious effects. A glyphosate-resistant Arabidopsis mutant (gre1) was isolated and genetic analyses indicated that a dysfunctional red (R) and far-red (FR) light receptor, phytochrome B (phyB), caused this phenotype. This finding is consistent with increased glyphosate sensitivity and glyphosate-induced shikimate accumulation in low R:FR light, and the induction of genes encoding enzymes of the shikimate pathway in high R:FR light. Expression of the shikimate pathway genes exhibited diurnal oscillation and this oscillation was altered in the phyB mutant. Furthermore, transcript analysis suggested that this diurnal oscillation was not only dependent on phyB but was also due to circadian regulatory mechanisms. Our data offer an explanation of the well documented observation that glyphosate treatment at various times throughout the day, with their specific composition of light quality and intensity, results in different efficiencies of the herbicide.
CitationA red and far-red light receptor mutation confers resistance to the herbicide glyphosate 2014, 78 (6):916 The Plant Journal
JournalThe Plant Journal
PubMed Central IDPMC4260087
- Improvement of Glyphosate Resistance through Concurrent Mutations in Three Amino Acids of the <i>Pantoea</i> sp. 5-Enolpyruvylshikimate-3-Phosphate Synthase.
- Authors: Liu F, Cao YP
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 28
- Effects of over-expressing a native gene encoding 5-enolpyruvylshikimate-3-phosphate synthase (EPSPS) on glyphosate resistance in Arabidopsis thaliana.
- Authors: Yang X, Beres ZT, Jin L, Parrish JT, Zhao W, Mackey D, Snow AA
- Issue date: 2017
- Phytochrome B integrates light and temperature signals in Arabidopsis.
- Authors: Legris M, Klose C, Burgie ES, Rojas CC, Neme M, Hiltbrunner A, Wigge PA, Schäfer E, Vierstra RD, Casal JJ
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 18
- Gene amplification of 5-enol-pyruvylshikimate-3-phosphate synthase in glyphosate-resistant Kochia scoparia.
- Authors: Wiersma AT, Gaines TA, Preston C, Hamilton JP, Giacomini D, Robin Buell C, Leach JE, Westra P
- Issue date: 2015 Feb
- Concerted action of target-site mutations and high EPSPS activity in glyphosate-resistant junglerice (Echinochloa colona) from California.
- Authors: Alarcón-Reverte R, García A, Watson SB, Abdallah I, Sabaté S, Hernández MJ, Dayan FE, Fischer AJ
- Issue date: 2015 Jul