Complexation induced phase separation: preparation of composite membranes with a nanometer thin dense skin loaded with metal ions
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/550724
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe present the development of a facile phase-inversion method for forming asymmetric membranes with a precise high metal ion loading capacity in only the dense layer. The approach combines the use of macromolecule-metal intermolecular complexes to form the dense layer of asymmetric membranes with nonsolvent-induced phase separation to form the porous support. This allows the independent optimization of both the dense layer and porous support while maintaining the simplicity of a phase-inversion process. Moreover, it facilitates control over (i) the thickness of the dense layer throughout several orders of magnitude—from less than 15 nm to more than 6 μm, (ii) the type and amount of metal ions loaded in the dense layer, (iii) the morphology of the membrane surface, and (iv) the porosity and structure of the support. This simple and scalable process provides a new platform for building multifunctional membranes with a high loading of well-dispersed metal ions in the dense layer.
CitationComplexation induced phase separation: preparation of composite membranes with a nanometer thin dense skin loaded with metal ions 2015:150421125443000 Nano Letters
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Polymer and Membrane Design for Low Temperature Catalytic Reactions.
- Authors: Villalobos LF, Xie Y, Nunes SP, Peinemann KV
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Metals ions removal by polymer membranes of different porosity.
- Authors: Jasiewicz K, Pietrzak R
- Issue date: 2013
- Ultrathin and stable active layer of dense composite membrane enabled by poly(dopamine).
- Authors: Li B, Liu W, Jiang Z, Dong X, Wang B, Zhong Y
- Issue date: 2009 Jul 7
- Switchable pH-responsive polymeric membranes prepared via block copolymer micelle assembly.
- Authors: Nunes SP, Behzad AR, Hooghan B, Sougrat R, Karunakaran M, Pradeep N, Vainio U, Peinemann KV
- Issue date: 2011 May 24
- Asymmetric membrane capsules for osmotic drug delivery. I. Development of a manufacturing process.
- Authors: Thombre AG, Cardinal JR, DeNoto AR, Herbig SM, Smith KL
- Issue date: 1999 Jan 4