KAUST DepartmentBio-Ontology Research Group (BORG)
Computational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
Computer Science Program
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Online Publication Date2015-01-28
Print Publication Date2015-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/550321
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Many ontologies have been developed in biology and these ontologies increasingly contain large volumes of formalized knowledge commonly expressed in the Web Ontology Language (OWL). Computational access to the knowledge contained within these ontologies relies on the use of automated reasoning. Results: We have developed the Aber-OWL infrastructure that provides reasoning services for bio-ontologies. Aber-OWL consists of an ontology repository, a set of web services and web interfaces that enable ontology-based semantic access to biological data and literature. Aber-OWL is freely available at http://aber-owl.net. Conclusions: Aber-OWL provides a framework for automatically accessing information that is annotated with ontologies or contains terms used to label classes in ontologies. When using Aber-OWL, access to ontologies and data annotated with them is not merely based on class names or identifiers but rather on the knowledge the ontologies contain and the inferences that can be drawn from it.
CitationAber-OWL: a framework for ontology-based data access in biology 2015, 16 (1) BMC Bioinformatics
PubMed Central IDPMC4384359
- Relations as patterns: bridging the gap between OBO and OWL.
- Authors: Hoehndorf R, Oellrich A, Dumontier M, Kelso J, Rebholz-Schuhmann D, Herre H
- Issue date: 2010 Aug 31
- Owlready: Ontology-oriented programming in Python with automatic classification and high level constructs for biomedical ontologies.
- Authors: Lamy JB
- Issue date: 2017 Jul
- Ontology driven modeling for the knowledge of genetic susceptibility to disease.
- Authors: Lin Y, Sakamoto N
- Issue date: 2009 Apr 30
- Inferring ontology graph structures using OWL reasoning.
- Authors: Rodríguez-García MÁ, Hoehndorf R
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 5
- The Ontology for Biomedical Investigations.
- Authors: Bandrowski A, Brinkman R, Brochhausen M, Brush MH, Bug B, Chibucos MC, Clancy K, Courtot M, Derom D, Dumontier M, Fan L, Fostel J, Fragoso G, Gibson F, Gonzalez-Beltran A, Haendel MA, He Y, Heiskanen M, Hernandez-Boussard T, Jensen M, Lin Y, Lister AL, Lord P, Malone J, Manduchi E, McGee M, Morrison N, Overton JA, Parkinson H, Peters B, Rocca-Serra P, Ruttenberg A, Sansone SA, Scheuermann RH, Schober D, Smith B, Soldatova LN, Stoeckert CJ Jr, Taylor CF, Torniai C, Turner JA, Vita R, Whetzel PL, Zheng J
- Issue date: 2016