Acute Toxicity of the Antifouling Compound Butenolide in Non-Target Organisms
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractButenolide [5-octylfuran-2(5H)-one] is a recently discovered and very promising anti-marine-fouling compound. In this study, the acute toxicity of butenolide was assessed in several non-target organisms, including micro algae, crustaceans, and fish. Results were compared with previously reported results on the effective concentrations used on fouling (target) organisms. According to OECD's guideline, the predicted no effect concentration (PNEC) was 0.168 µg l^(−1), which was among one of the highest in representative new biocides. Mechanistically, the phenotype of butenolide-treated Danio rerio (zebrafish) embryos was similar to the phenotype of the pro-caspase-3 over-expression mutant with pericardial edema, small eyes, small brains, and increased numbers of apoptotic cells in the bodies of zebrafish embryos. Butenolide also induced apoptosis in HeLa cells, with the activation of c-Jun N-terminal kinases (JNK), Bcl-2 family proteins, and caspases and proteasomes/lysosomes involved in this process. This is the first detailed toxicity and toxicology study on this antifouling compound.
CitationAcute Toxicity of the Antifouling Compound Butenolide in Non-Target Organisms 2011, 6 (8):e23803 PLoS ONE
SponsorsThis work was supported by an award [SA-C0040/UK-C0016] from the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (http://www.kaust.edu.sa/) and grants from the Research Grants Council of HKSAR (http://www.ugc.edu.hk/eng/rgc/index.htm) [N_HKUST602/09, AoE/P-04/04-2-II] to PY Qian. The funders had no role in study design, data collection and analysis, decision to publish, or preparation of the manuscript.
PublisherPublic Library of Science (PLoS)
PubMed Central IDPMC3163639
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Butenolide inhibits marine fouling by altering the primary metabolism of three target organisms.
- Authors: Zhang YF, Zhang H, He L, Liu C, Xu Y, Qian PY
- Issue date: 2012 Jun 15
- Assessing lethal and sub-lethal effects of trichlorfon on different trophic levels.
- Authors: Coelho S, Oliveira R, Pereira S, Musso C, Domingues I, Bhujel RC, Soares AM, Nogueira AJ
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- The effect of butenolide on behavioral and morphological changes in two marine fouling species, the barnacle Balanus amphitrite and the bryozoan Bugula neritina.
- Authors: Zhang YF, Wang GC, Ying X, Sougrat R, Qian PY
- Issue date: 2011 May
- The mode of action of isocyanide in three aquatic organisms, Balanus amphitrite, Bugula neritina and Danio rerio.
- Authors: Zhang YF, Kitano Y, Nogata Y, Zhang Y, Qian PY
- Issue date: 2012
- Anti-biofilm effect of a butenolide/polymer coating and metatranscriptomic analyses.
- Authors: Ding W, Ma C, Zhang W, Chiang H, Tam C, Xu Y, Zhang G, Qian PY
- Issue date: 2018 Jan