Using Magnetically Responsive Tea Waste to Remove Lead in Waters under Environmentally Relevant Conditions
AuthorsYeo, Siang Yee
Sow-Peh, Yoke Keow
Hatton, T. Alan
Doyle, Patrick S.
Thio, Beng Joo Reginald
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/550214
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report the use of a simple yet highly effective magnetite-waste tea composite to remove lead(II) (Pb2+) ions from water. Magnetite-waste tea composites were dispersed in four different types of water–deionized (DI), artificial rainwater, artificial groundwater and artificial freshwater–that mimic actual environmental conditions. The water samples had varying initial concentrations (0.16–5.55 ppm) of Pb2+ ions and were mixed with the magnetite-waste tea composite for at least 24 hours to allow adsorption of the Pb2+ ions to reach equilibrium. The magnetite-waste tea composites were stable in all the water samples for at least 3 months and could be easily removed from the aqueous media via the use of permanent magnets. We detected no significant leaching of iron (Fe) ions into the water from the magnetite-waste tea composites. The percentage of Pb adsorbed onto the magnetite-waste tea composite ranged from ~70% to 100%; the composites were as effective as activated carbon (AC) in removing the Pb2+ ions from water, depending on the initial Pb concentration. Our prepared magnetite-waste tea composites show promise as a green, inexpensive and highly effective sorbent for removal of Pb in water under environmentally realistic conditions.
CitationUsing Magnetically Responsive Tea Waste to Remove Lead in Waters under Environmentally Relevant Conditions 2013, 8 (6):e66648 PLoS ONE
PublisherPublic Library of Science (PLoS)
PubMed Central IDPMC3688597
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Removal of Pb(2+) from water environment using a novel magnetic chitosan/graphene oxide imprinted Pb(2+).
- Authors: Wang Y, Li L, Luo C, Wang X, Duan H
- Issue date: 2016 May
- [Sorption characteristics of tea waste modified by hydrated ferric oxide toward Pb(II) in water].
- Authors: Wan SL, Xue Y, Ma ZZ, Liu GB, Yu YX, Ma MH
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Removal of Pb(II) ions from aqueous solution using activated tea waste: Adsorption on a fixed-bed column.
- Authors: Mondal MK
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Adsorption and kinetic studies of seven different organic dyes onto magnetite nanoparticles loaded tea waste and removal of them from wastewater samples.
- Authors: Madrakian T, Afkhami A, Ahmadi M
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Adsorption of heavy metal ions by hierarchically structured magnetite-carbonaceous spheres.
- Authors: Gong J, Wang X, Shao X, Yuan S, Yang C, Hu X
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 15