Isolation of cells for selective treatment and analysis using a magnetic microfluidic chip
Gooneratne, Chinthaka Pasan
Abu Smara, D.
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis study describes the development and testing of a magnetic microfluidic chip (MMC) for trapping and isolating cells tagged with superparamagnetic beads (SPBs) in a microfluidic environment for selective treatment and analysis. The trapping and isolation are done in two separate steps; first, the trapping of the tagged cells in a main channel is achieved by soft ferromagnetic disks and second, the transportation of the cells into side chambers for isolation is executed by tapered conductive paths made of Gold (Au). Numerical simulations were performed to analyze the magnetic flux and force distributions of the disks and conducting paths, for trapping and transporting SPBs. The MMC was fabricated using standard microfabrication processes. Experiments were performed with E. coli (K12 strand) tagged with 2.8 μm SPBs. The results showed that E. coli can be separated from a sample solution by trapping them at the disk sites, and then isolated into chambers by transporting them along the tapered conducting paths. Once the E. coli was trapped inside the side chambers, two selective treatments were performed. In one chamber, a solution with minimal nutrition content was added and, in another chamber, a solution with essential nutrition was added. The results showed that the growth of bacteria cultured in the second chamber containing nutrient was significantly higher, demonstrating that the E. coli was not affected by the magnetically driven transportation and the feasibility of performing different treatments on selectively isolated cells on a single microfluidic platform.
CitationIsolation of cells for selective treatment and analysis using a magnetic microfluidic chip 2014, 8 (3):034114 Biomicrofluidics
PubMed Central IDPMC4162427
- Magnetic-based microfluidic platform for biomolecular separation.
- Authors: Ramadan Q, Samper V, Poenar D, Yu C
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- Microfluidic single-cell cultivation chip with controllable immobilization and selective release of yeast cells.
- Authors: Zhu Z, Frey O, Ottoz DS, Rudolf F, Hierlemann A
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 7
- A microfluidic-based hydrodynamic trap for single particles.
- Authors: Johnson-Chavarria EM, Tanyeri M, Schroeder CM
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 21
- An integrated microfluidic system using a micro-fluxgate and micro spiral coil for magnetic microbeads trapping and detecting.
- Authors: Sun X, Feng Z, Zhi S, Lei C, Zhang D, Zhou Y
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 11
- Parameter screening in microfluidics based hydrodynamic single-cell trapping.
- Authors: Deng B, Li XF, Chen DY, You LD, Wang JB, Chen J
- Issue date: 2014