Nitrogen cycling in corals: the key to understanding holobiont functioning?
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Marine Science Program
Red Sea Research Center (RSRC)
Reef Genomics Lab
Online Publication Date2015-04-11
Print Publication Date2015-08
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/550162
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCorals are animals that form close mutualistic associations with endosymbiotic photosynthetic algae of the genus Symbiodinium. Together they provide the calcium carbonate framework of coral reef ecosystems. The importance of the microbiome (i.e., bacteria, archaea, fungi, and viruses) to holobiont functioning has only recently been recognized. Given that growth and density of Symbiodinium within the coral host is highly dependent on nitrogen availability, nitrogen-cycling microbes may be of fundamental importance to the stability of the coral–algae symbiosis and holobiont functioning, in particular under nutrient-enriched and -depleted scenarios. We summarize what is known about nitrogen cycling in corals and conclude that disturbance of microbial nitrogen cycling may be tightly linked to coral bleaching and disease.
CitationNitrogen cycling in corals: the key to understanding holobiont functioning? 2015 Trends in Microbiology
JournalTrends in Microbiology
- Metagenomic analysis of the microbial community associated with the coral Porites astreoides.
- Authors: Wegley L, Edwards R, Rodriguez-Brito B, Liu H, Rohwer F
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- Metagenomic analysis of stressed coral holobionts.
- Authors: Vega Thurber R, Willner-Hall D, Rodriguez-Mueller B, Desnues C, Edwards RA, Angly F, Dinsdale E, Kelly L, Rohwer F
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Climate change promotes parasitism in a coral symbiosis.
- Authors: Baker DM, Freeman CJ, Wong JCY, Fogel ML, Knowlton N
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- Sugar enrichment provides evidence for a role of nitrogen fixation in coral bleaching.
- Authors: Pogoreutz C, Rädecker N, Cárdenas A, Gärdes A, Voolstra CR, Wild C
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Insights into the Coral Microbiome: Underpinning the Health and Resilience of Reef Ecosystems.
- Authors: Bourne DG, Morrow KM, Webster NS
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 8