Exploring the Arabidopsis Proteome: Influence of Protein Solubilization Buffers on Proteome Coverage
Wong, Aloysius Tze
Serano, Natalia Lorena Gorron
Jankovic, Boris R.
Gehring, Christoph A
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe study of proteomes provides new insights into stimulus-specific responses of protein synthesis and turnover, and the role of post-translational modifications at the systems level. Due to the diverse chemical nature of proteins and shortcomings in the analytical techniques used in their study, only a partial display of the proteome is achieved in any study, and this holds particularly true for plant proteomes. Here we show that different solubilization and separation methods have profound effects on the resulting proteome. In particular, we observed that the type of detergents employed in the solubilization buffer preferentially enriches proteins in different functional categories. These include proteins with a role in signaling, transport, response to temperature stimuli and metabolism. This data may offer a functional bias on comparative analysis studies. In order to obtain a broader coverage, we propose a two-step solubilization protocol with first a detergent-free buffer and then a second step utilizing a combination of two detergents to solubilize proteins.
CitationExploring the Arabidopsis Proteome: Influence of Protein Solubilization Buffers on Proteome Coverage 2014, 16 (1):857 International Journal of Molecular Sciences
PubMed Central IDPMC4307279
- The Arabidopsis thaliana 2-D gel mitochondrial proteome: Refining the value of reference maps for assessing protein abundance, contaminants and post-translational modifications.
- Authors: Taylor NL, Heazlewood JL, Millar AH
- Issue date: 2011 May
- Mapping the membrane proteome of Corynebacterium glutamicum.
- Authors: Schluesener D, Fischer F, Kruip J, Rögner M, Poetsch A
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- Analysis of the Arabidopsis floral proteome: detection of over 2 000 proteins and evidence for posttranslational modifications.
- Authors: Feng B, Li L, Zhou X, Stanley B, Ma H
- Issue date: 2009 Feb
- In-depth analysis of the thylakoid membrane proteome of Arabidopsis thaliana chloroplasts: new proteins, new functions, and a plastid proteome database.
- Authors: Friso G, Giacomelli L, Ytterberg AJ, Peltier JB, Rudella A, Sun Q, Wijk KJ
- Issue date: 2004 Feb
- Arabidopsis proteomics: a simple and standardizable workflow for quantitative proteome characterization.
- Authors: Rödiger A, Agne B, Baerenfaller K, Baginsky S
- Issue date: 2014