Atomic resolution structures of discrete stages on the reaction coordinate of the [Fe4S4] enzyme IspG (GcpE)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/550086
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIspG is the penultimate enzyme in non-mevalonate biosynthesis of the universal terpene building blocks isopentenyl diphosphate and dimethylallyl diphosphate. Its mechanism of action has been the subject of numerous studies but remained unresolved due to difficulties in identifying distinct reaction intermediates. Using a moderate reducing agent as well as an epoxide substrate analogue, we were now able to trap and crystallographically characterize various stages in the IspG catalyzed conversion of 2-C-methyl-D-erythritol-2,4-cyclo-diphosphate (MEcPP) to (E)-1-hydroxy-2-methylbut-2-enyl-4-diphosphate (HMBPP). In addition, the enzyme’s structure was determined in complex with several inhibitors. These results, combined with recent electron paramagnetic resonance data, allowed us to deduce a detailed and complete IspG catalytic mechanism which describes all stages from initial ring opening to formation of HMBPP via discrete radical and carbanion intermediates. The data presented in this article provide a guide for the design of selective drugs against many pro- and eukaryotic pathogens to which the non-mevalonate pathway is essential for survival and virulence.
CitationQuitterer, Felix, Annika Frank, Ke Wang, Guodong Rao, Bing O'Dowd, Jikun Li, Francisco Guerra et al. "Atomic resolution structures of discrete stages on the reaction coordinate of the [Fe4S4] enzyme IspG (GcpE)." Journal of Molecular Biology (2015).
JournalJournal of Molecular Biology
PubMed Central IDPMC4433817
- Structure of the GcpE (IspG)-MEcPP complex from Thermus thermophilus.
- Authors: Rekittke I, Jomaa H, Ermler U
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 21
- Structure of the E-1-hydroxy-2-methyl-but-2-enyl-4-diphosphate synthase (GcpE) from Thermus thermophilus.
- Authors: Rekittke I, Nonaka T, Wiesner J, Demmer U, Warkentin E, Jomaa H, Ermler U
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 4
- Structure of the GcpE-HMBPP complex from Thermus thermophilius.
- Authors: Rekittke I, Warkentin E, Jomaa H, Ermler U
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 6
- Cyanobacterial non-mevalonate pathway: (E)-4-hydroxy-3-methylbut-2-enyl diphosphate synthase interacts with ferredoxin in Thermosynechococcus elongatus BP-1.
- Authors: Okada K, Hase T
- Issue date: 2005 May 27
- Organometallic mechanism of action and inhibition of the 4Fe-4S isoprenoid biosynthesis protein GcpE (IspG).
- Authors: Wang W, Li J, Wang K, Huang C, Zhang Y, Oldfield E
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 22