Nano-Mole Scale Side-Chain Signal Assignment by 1H-Detected Protein Solid-State NMR by Ultra-Fast Magic-Angle Spinning and Stereo-Array Isotope Labeling
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/550050
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe present a general approach in 1H-detected 13C solid-state NMR (SSNMR) for side-chain signal assignments of 10-50 nmol quantities of proteins using a combination of a high magnetic field, ultra-fast magic-angle spinning (MAS) at ~80 kHz, and stereo-array-isotope-labeled (SAIL) proteins [Kainosho M. et al., Nature 440, 52–57, 2006]. First, we demonstrate that 1H indirect detection improves the sensitivity and resolution of 13C SSNMR of SAIL proteins for side-chain assignments in the ultra-fast MAS condition. 1H-detected SSNMR was performed for micro-crystalline ubiquitin (~55 nmol or ~0.5mg) that was SAIL-labeled at seven isoleucine (Ile) residues. Sensitivity was dramatically improved by 1H-detected 2D 1H/13C SSNMR by factors of 5.4-9.7 and 2.1-5.0, respectively, over 13C-detected 2D 1H/13C SSNMR and 1D 13C CPMAS, demonstrating that 2D 1H-detected SSNMR offers not only additional resolution but also sensitivity advantage over 1D 13C detection for the first time. High 1H resolution for the SAIL-labeled side-chain residues offered reasonable resolution even in the 2D data. A 1H-detected 3D 13C/13C/1H experiment on SAIL-ubiquitin provided nearly complete 1H and 13C assignments for seven Ile residues only within ~2.5 h. The results demonstrate the feasibility of side-chain signal assignment in this approach for as little as 10 nmol of a protein sample within ~3 days. The approach is likely applicable to a variety of proteins of biological interest without any requirements of highly efficient protein expression systems.
CitationWang S, Parthasarathy S, Nishiyama Y, Endo Y, Nemoto T, et al. (2015) Nano-Mole Scale Side-Chain Signal Assignment by 1H-Detected Protein Solid-State NMR by Ultra-Fast Magic-Angle Spinning and Stereo-Array Isotope Labeling. PLoS ONE 10(4): e0122714. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0122714
PublisherPublic Library of Science (PLoS)
PubMed Central IDPMC4391754
- A new approach in 1D and 2D 13C high-resolution solid-state NMR spectroscopy of paramagnetic organometallic complexes by very fast magic-angle spinning.
- Authors: Ishii Y, Wickramasinghe NP, Chimon S
- Issue date: 2003 Mar 26
- Progress in 13C and 1H solid-state nuclear magnetic resonance for paramagnetic systems under very fast magic angle spinning.
- Authors: Wickramasinghe NP, Shaibat MA, Jones CR, Casabianca LB, de Dios AC, Harwood JS, Ishii Y
- Issue date: 2008 Feb 7
- Spectral editing at ultra-fast magic-angle-spinning in solid-state NMR: facilitating protein sequential signal assignment by HIGHLIGHT approach.
- Authors: Wang S, Matsuda I, Long F, Ishii Y
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Nano-mole scale sequential signal assignment by (1)H-detected protein solid-state NMR.
- Authors: Wang S, Parthasarathy S, Xiao Y, Nishiyama Y, Long F, Matsuda I, Endo Y, Nemoto T, Yamauchi K, Asakura T, Takeda M, Terauchi T, Kainosho M, Ishii Y
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 18
- Proton-detected solid-state NMR spectroscopy of fully protonated proteins at 40 kHz magic-angle spinning.
- Authors: Zhou DH, Shah G, Cormos M, Mullen C, Sandoz D, Rienstra CM
- Issue date: 2007 Sep 26