Tunable Rare Earth fcu-MOF Platform: Access to Adsorption Kinetics Driven Gas/Vapor Separations via Pore Size Contraction
Cairns, Amy J
KAUST DepartmentFunctional Materials Design, Discovery and Development (FMD3)
Advanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/348525
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractReticular chemistry approach was successfully employed to deliberately construct new rare-earth (RE, i.e. Eu3+, Tb3+ and Y3+) fcu metal‒organic frameworks (MOFs) with restricted window apertures. Controlled and selective access to the resultant contracted fcu-MOF pores permits the achievement of the requisite sorbate cut-off ideal for selective adsorption kinetics separation and/or molecular sieving of gases and vapors. Predetermined reaction conditions that permitted the formation in-situ of the 12-connected RE hexanuclear molecular building block (MBB) and the establishment of the RE-fcu-MOF plat-form, especially in the presence of 2-fluorobenzoic acid (2-FBA) as a modulator and a structure directing agent, were used to synthesize isostructural RE-1,4-NDC-fcu-MOFs based on a relatively bulkier 2-connected bridging ligand, namely 1,4-naphthalenedicarboxylate (1,4-NDC). The subsequent RE-1,4-NDC-fcu-MOF structural features, contracted windows/pores and high concentration of open metal sites combined with exceptional hydrothermal and chemical stabilities, yielded nota-ble gas/solvent separation properties, driven mostly by adsorption kinetics as exemplified in this work for n-butane/methane, butanol/methanol and butanol/water pair systems.
CitationTunable Rare Earth fcu-MOF Platform: Access to Adsorption Kinetics Driven Gas/Vapor Separations via Pore Size Contraction 2015:150331183830008 Journal of the American Chemical Society
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Ultra-Tuning of the Rare-Earth fcu-MOF Aperture Size for Selective Molecular Exclusion of Branched Paraffins.
- Authors: Assen AH, Belmabkhout Y, Adil K, Bhatt PM, Xue DX, Jiang H, Eddaoudi M
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 23
- Versatile rare earth hexanuclear clusters for the design and synthesis of highly-connected <b>ftw</b>-MOFs.
- Authors: Luebke R, Belmabkhout Y, Weseliński ŁJ, Cairns AJ, Alkordi M, Norton G, Wojtas Ł, Adil K, Eddaoudi M
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 1
- MOFs for the Sensitive Detection of Ammonia: Deployment of fcu-MOF Thin Films as Effective Chemical Capacitive Sensors.
- Authors: Assen AH, Yassine O, Shekhah O, Eddaoudi M, Salama KN
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 22
- Tunable rare-earth fcu-MOFs: a platform for systematic enhancement of CO2 adsorption energetics and uptake.
- Authors: Xue DX, Cairns AJ, Belmabkhout Y, Wojtas L, Liu Y, Alkordi MH, Eddaoudi M
- Issue date: 2013 May 22
- Reticular Chemistry and the Discovery of a New Family of Rare Earth (4, 8)-Connected Metal-Organic Frameworks with csq Topology Based on RE<sub>4</sub>(μ<sub>3</sub>-O)<sub>2</sub>(COO)<sub>8</sub> Clusters.
- Authors: Angeli GK, Sartsidou C, Vlachaki S, Spanopoulos I, Tsangarakis C, Kourtellaris A, Klontzas E, Froudakis GE, Tasiopoulos A, Trikalitis PN
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 27