Tunable Rare Earth fcu-MOF Platform: Access to Adsorption Kinetics Driven Gas/Vapor Separations via Pore Size Contraction
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Chemical Science Program
Functional Materials Design, Discovery and Development (FMD3)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2015-04-10
Print Publication Date2015-04-22
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/348525
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractReticular chemistry approach was successfully employed to deliberately construct new rare-earth (RE, i.e. Eu3+, Tb3+ and Y3+) fcu metal‒organic frameworks (MOFs) with restricted window apertures. Controlled and selective access to the resultant contracted fcu-MOF pores permits the achievement of the requisite sorbate cut-off ideal for selective adsorption kinetics separation and/or molecular sieving of gases and vapors. Predetermined reaction conditions that permitted the formation in-situ of the 12-connected RE hexanuclear molecular building block (MBB) and the establishment of the RE-fcu-MOF plat-form, especially in the presence of 2-fluorobenzoic acid (2-FBA) as a modulator and a structure directing agent, were used to synthesize isostructural RE-1,4-NDC-fcu-MOFs based on a relatively bulkier 2-connected bridging ligand, namely 1,4-naphthalenedicarboxylate (1,4-NDC). The subsequent RE-1,4-NDC-fcu-MOF structural features, contracted windows/pores and high concentration of open metal sites combined with exceptional hydrothermal and chemical stabilities, yielded nota-ble gas/solvent separation properties, driven mostly by adsorption kinetics as exemplified in this work for n-butane/methane, butanol/methanol and butanol/water pair systems.
CitationTunable Rare Earth fcu-MOF Platform: Access to Adsorption Kinetics Driven Gas/Vapor Separations via Pore Size Contraction 2015:150331183830008 Journal of the American Chemical Society
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
RelationsIs Supplemented By:
Xue, D.-X., Belmabkhout, Y., Shekhah, O., Jiang, H., Adil, K., Cairns, A. J., & Eddaoudi, M. (2015). CCDC 1410946: Experimental Crystal Structure Determination [Data set]. Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre. https://doi.org/10.5517/cc1jc6dh. DOI: 10.5517/cc1jc6dh HANDLE: 10754/624452
Xue, D.-X., Belmabkhout, Y., Shekhah, O., Jiang, H., Adil, K., Cairns, A. J., & Eddaoudi, M. (2015). CCDC 1410947: Experimental Crystal Structure Determination [Data set]. Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre. https://doi.org/10.5517/cc1jc6fj. DOI: 10.5517/cc1jc6fj HANDLE: 10754/624453
Xue, D.-X., Belmabkhout, Y., Shekhah, O., Jiang, H., Adil, K., Cairns, A. J., & Eddaoudi, M. (2015). CCDC 1410948: Experimental Crystal Structure Determination [Data set]. Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre. https://doi.org/10.5517/cc1jc6gk. DOI: 10.5517/cc1jc6gk HANDLE: 10754/624454
- Ultra-Tuning of the Rare-Earth fcu-MOF Aperture Size for Selective Molecular Exclusion of Branched Paraffins.
- Authors: Assen AH, Belmabkhout Y, Adil K, Bhatt PM, Xue DX, Jiang H, Eddaoudi M
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 23
- Versatile rare earth hexanuclear clusters for the design and synthesis of highly-connected <b>ftw</b>-MOFs.
- Authors: Luebke R, Belmabkhout Y, Weseliński ŁJ, Cairns AJ, Alkordi M, Norton G, Wojtas Ł, Adil K, Eddaoudi M
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 1
- MOFs for the Sensitive Detection of Ammonia: Deployment of fcu-MOF Thin Films as Effective Chemical Capacitive Sensors.
- Authors: Assen AH, Yassine O, Shekhah O, Eddaoudi M, Salama KN
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 22
- Tunable rare-earth fcu-MOFs: a platform for systematic enhancement of CO2 adsorption energetics and uptake.
- Authors: Xue DX, Cairns AJ, Belmabkhout Y, Wojtas L, Liu Y, Alkordi MH, Eddaoudi M
- Issue date: 2013 May 22
- Reticular Chemistry and the Discovery of a New Family of Rare Earth (4, 8)-Connected Metal-Organic Frameworks with csq Topology Based on RE<sub>4</sub>(μ<sub>3</sub>-O)<sub>2</sub>(COO)<sub>8</sub> Clusters.
- Authors: Angeli GK, Sartsidou C, Vlachaki S, Spanopoulos I, Tsangarakis C, Kourtellaris A, Klontzas E, Froudakis GE, Tasiopoulos A, Trikalitis PN
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 27