KAUST DepartmentComputational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMicroorganisms are known to counteract salt stress through salt influx or by the accumulation of osmoprotectants (also called compatible solutes). Understanding the pathways that synthesize and/or breakdown these osmoprotectants is of interest to studies of crops halotolerance and to biotechnology applications that use microbes as cell factories for production of biomass or commercial chemicals. To facilitate the exploration of osmoprotectants, we have developed the first online resource, ‘Dragon Explorer of Osmoprotection associated Pathways’ (DEOP) that gathers and presents curated information about osmoprotectants, complemented by information about reactions and pathways that use or affect them. A combined total of 141 compounds were confirmed osmoprotectants, which were matched to 1883 reactions and 834 pathways. DEOP can also be used to map genes or microbial genomes to potential osmoprotection-associated pathways, and thus link genes and genomes to other associated osmoprotection information. Moreover, DEOP provides a text-mining utility to search deeper into the scientific literature for supporting evidence or for new associations of osmoprotectants to pathways, reactions, enzymes, genes or organisms. Two case studies are provided to demonstrate the usefulness of DEOP. The system can be accessed at.
CitationDEOP: a database on osmoprotectants and associated pathways 2014, 2014 (0):bau100 Database
PublisherOxford University Press (OUP)
PubMed Central IDPMC4201361
- Production of bulk chemicals via novel metabolic pathways in microorganisms.
- Authors: Shin JH, Kim HU, Kim DI, Lee SY
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Engineering salt tolerance in plants.
- Authors: Apse MP, Blumwald E
- Issue date: 2002 Apr
- AlgaePath: comprehensive analysis of metabolic pathways using transcript abundance data from next-generation sequencing in green algae.
- Authors: Zheng HQ, Chiang-Hsieh YF, Chien CH, Hsu BK, Liu TL, Chen CN, Chang WC
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 14
- Expression dynamics and genome distribution of osmoprotectants in soybean: identifying important components to face abiotic stress.
- Authors: Kido EA, Ferreira Neto JR, Silva RL, Belarmino LC, Bezerra Neto JP, Soares-Cavalcanti NM, Pandolfi V, Silva MD, Nepomuceno AL, Benko-Iseppon AM
- Issue date: 2013
- Experimental Design and Bioinformatics Analysis for the Application of Metagenomics in Environmental Sciences and Biotechnology.
- Authors: Ju F, Zhang T
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 3