González-Gordillo, J. Ignacio
Gálvez, José Á.
Duarte, Carlos M.
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Marine Science Program
Red Sea Research Center (RSRC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/348469
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractConcentrations of floating plastic were measured throughout the Mediterranean Sea to assess whether this basin can be regarded as a great accumulation region of plastic debris. We found that the average density of plastic (1 item per 4 m2), as well as its frequency of occurrence (100% of the sites sampled), are comparable to the accumulation zones described for the five subtropical ocean gyres. Plastic debris in the Mediterranean surface waters was dominated by millimeter-sized fragments, but showed a higher proportion of large plastic objects than that present in oceanic gyres, reflecting the closer connection with pollution sources. The accumulation of floating plastic in the Mediterranean Sea (between 1,000 and 3,000 tons) is likely related to the high human pressure together with the hydrodynamics of this semi-enclosed basin, with outflow mainly occurring through a deep water layer. Given the biological richness and concentration of economic activities in the Mediterranean Sea, the affects of plastic pollution on marine and human life are expected to be particularly frequent in this plastic accumulation region.
CitationPlastic Accumulation in the Mediterranean Sea 2015, 10 (4):e0121762 PLOS ONE
PublisherPublic Library of Science (PLoS)
PubMed Central IDPMC4382178
- Floating plastic debris in the Central and Western Mediterranean Sea.
- Authors: Ruiz-Orejón LF, Sardá R, Ramis-Pujol J
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Modelling the transport and accumulation of floating marine debris in the Mediterranean basin.
- Authors: Mansui J, Molcard A, Ourmières Y
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 15
- Abundance and composition of floating marine macro litter on the eastern sector of the Mediterranean Sea.
- Authors: Constantino E, Martins I, Salazar Sierra JM, Bessa F
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- Marine plastic pollution in waters around Australia: characteristics, concentrations, and pathways.
- Authors: Reisser J, Shaw J, Wilcox C, Hardesty BD, Proietti M, Thums M, Pattiaratchi C
- Issue date: 2013
- Risk assessment of plastic pollution on marine diversity in the Mediterranean Sea.
- Authors: Compa M, Alomar C, Wilcox C, van Sebille E, Lebreton L, Hardesty BD, Deudero S
- Issue date: 2019 Aug 15