González-Gordillo, J. Ignacio
Gálvez, José Á.
Duarte, Carlos M.
KAUST DepartmentRed Sea Research Center (RSRC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractConcentrations of floating plastic were measured throughout the Mediterranean Sea to assess whether this basin can be regarded as a great accumulation region of plastic debris. We found that the average density of plastic (1 item per 4 m2), as well as its frequency of occurrence (100% of the sites sampled), are comparable to the accumulation zones described for the five subtropical ocean gyres. Plastic debris in the Mediterranean surface waters was dominated by millimeter-sized fragments, but showed a higher proportion of large plastic objects than that present in oceanic gyres, reflecting the closer connection with pollution sources. The accumulation of floating plastic in the Mediterranean Sea (between 1,000 and 3,000 tons) is likely related to the high human pressure together with the hydrodynamics of this semi-enclosed basin, with outflow mainly occurring through a deep water layer. Given the biological richness and concentration of economic activities in the Mediterranean Sea, the affects of plastic pollution on marine and human life are expected to be particularly frequent in this plastic accumulation region.
CitationPlastic Accumulation in the Mediterranean Sea 2015, 10 (4):e0121762 PLOS ONE
PublisherPublic Library of Science (PLoS)
PubMed Central IDPMC4382178
- Floating plastic debris in the Central and Western Mediterranean Sea.
- Authors: Ruiz-Orejón LF, Sardá R, Ramis-Pujol J
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Modelling the transport and accumulation of floating marine debris in the Mediterranean basin.
- Authors: Mansui J, Molcard A, Ourmières Y
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 15
- Marine plastic pollution in waters around Australia: characteristics, concentrations, and pathways.
- Authors: Reisser J, Shaw J, Wilcox C, Hardesty BD, Proietti M, Thums M, Pattiaratchi C
- Issue date: 2013
- Floating debris in the Mediterranean Sea.
- Authors: Suaria G, Aliani S
- Issue date: 2014 Sep 15
- Plastic debris in the open ocean.
- Authors: Cózar A, Echevarría F, González-Gordillo JI, Irigoien X, Ubeda B, Hernández-León S, Palma AT, Navarro S, García-de-Lomas J, Ruiz A, Fernández-de-Puelles ML, Duarte CM
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 15