Surface modification-induced phase transformation of hexagonal close-packed gold square sheets
Gan, Chee Lip
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Advanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/347306
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractConventionally, the phase transformation of inorganic nanocrystals is realized under extreme conditions (for example, high temperature or high pressure). Here we report the complete phase transformation of Au square sheets (AuSSs) from hexagonal close-packed (hcp) to face-centered cubic (fcc) structures at ambient conditions via surface ligand exchange, resulting in the formation of (100)f-oriented fcc AuSSs. Importantly, the phase transformation can also be realized through the coating of a thin metal film (for example, Ag) on hcp AuSSs. Depending on the surfactants used during the metal coating process, two transformation pathways are observed, leading to the formation of (100)f-oriented fcc Au@Ag core-shell square sheets and (110)h/(101)f-oriented hcp/fcc mixed Au@Ag nanosheets. Furthermore, monochromated electron energy loss spectroscopy reveals the strong surface plasmon resonance absorption of fcc AuSS and Au@Ag square sheet in the infrared region. Our findings may offer a new route for the crystal-phase and shape-controlled synthesis of inorganic nanocrystals. © 2015 Macmillan Publishers Limited. All rights reserved.
CitationSurface modification-induced phase transformation of hexagonal close-packed gold square sheets 2015, 6:6571 Nature Communications
- Synthesis of ultrathin face-centered-cubic au@pt and au@pd core-shell nanoplates from hexagonal-close-packed au square sheets.
- Authors: Fan Z, Zhu Y, Huang X, Han Y, Wang Q, Liu Q, Huang Y, Gan CL, Zhang H
- Issue date: 2015 May 4
- Facile synthesis of gold nanomaterials with unusual crystal structures.
- Authors: Fan Z, Huang X, Chen Y, Huang W, Zhang H
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Synthesis of hexagonal close-packed gold nanostructures.
- Authors: Huang X, Li S, Huang Y, Wu S, Zhou X, Li S, Gan CL, Boey F, Mirkin CA, Zhang H
- Issue date: 2011
- Generalized-stacking-fault energy and twin-boundary energy of hexagonal close-packed Au: A first-principles calculation.
- Authors: Wang C, Wang H, Huang T, Xue X, Qiu F, Jiang Q
- Issue date: 2015 May 22
- Seed-Mediated Growth of Au Nanospheres into Hexagonal Stars and the Emergence of a Hexagonal Close-Packed Phase.
- Authors: Huo D, Cao Z, Li J, Xie M, Tao J, Xia Y
- Issue date: 2019 Apr 3