Microbubble enhanced ozonation process for advanced treatment of wastewater produced in acrylic fiber manufacturing industry
KAUST DepartmentWater Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis work investigated microbubble-ozonation for the treatment of a refractory wet-spun acrylic fiber wastewater in comparison to macrobubble-ozonation. CODcr, NH3-N, and UV254 of the wastewater were removed by 42%, 21%, and 42%, respectively in the microbubble-ozonation, being 25%, 9%, and 35% higher than the removal rates achieved by macrobubble-ozonation at the same ozone dose. The microbubbles (with average diameter of 45μm) had a high concentration of 3.9×105 counts/mL at a gas flow rate of 0.5L/min. The gas holdup, total ozone mass-transfer coefficient, and average ozone utilization efficiency in the microbubble-ozonation were 6.6, 2.2, and 1.5 times higher than those of the macrobubble-ozonation. Greater generation of hydroxyl radicals and a higher zeta potential of the bubbles were also observed in the microbubble ozonation process. The biodegradability of the wastewater was also significantly improved by microbubble-ozonation, which was ascribed to the enhanced degradation of alkanes, aromatic compounds, and the many other bio-refractory organic compounds in the wastewater. Microbubble-ozonation can thus be a more effective treatment process than traditional macrobubble-ozonation for refractory wastewater produced by the acrylic fiber manufacturing industry.
CitationMicrobubble enhanced ozonation process for advanced treatment of wastewater produced in acrylic fiber manufacturing industry 2015, 287:412 Journal of Hazardous Materials
JournalJournal of Hazardous Materials
- [Characteristics of acid red 3R wastewater treatment by ozone microbubbles].
- Authors: Zhang J, Du YW, Liu XJ, Zhou YW, Liu C, Yang JL, Zhang L
- Issue date: 2015 Feb
- Enhanced sludge solubilization by microbubble ozonation.
- Authors: Chu LB, Yan ST, Xing XH, Yu AF, Sun XL, Jurcik B
- Issue date: 2008 May
- Enhanced ozonation of simulated dyestuff wastewater by microbubbles.
- Authors: Chu LB, Xing XH, Yu AF, Zhou YN, Sun XL, Jurcik B
- Issue date: 2007 Aug
- Advanced treatment of oilfield production wastewater by an integration of coagulation/flotation, catalytic ozonation and biological processes.
- Authors: Chen KY, Zhang XB, Li J
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- The effect of microbubbles on gas-liquid mass transfer coefficient and degradation rate of COD in wastewater treatment.
- Authors: Yao K, Chi Y, Wang F, Yan J, Ni M, Cen K
- Issue date: 2016