Microbubble enhanced ozonation process for advanced treatment of wastewater produced in acrylic fiber manufacturing industry
KAUST DepartmentWater Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/347289
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis work investigated microbubble-ozonation for the treatment of a refractory wet-spun acrylic fiber wastewater in comparison to macrobubble-ozonation. CODcr, NH3-N, and UV254 of the wastewater were removed by 42%, 21%, and 42%, respectively in the microbubble-ozonation, being 25%, 9%, and 35% higher than the removal rates achieved by macrobubble-ozonation at the same ozone dose. The microbubbles (with average diameter of 45μm) had a high concentration of 3.9×105 counts/mL at a gas flow rate of 0.5L/min. The gas holdup, total ozone mass-transfer coefficient, and average ozone utilization efficiency in the microbubble-ozonation were 6.6, 2.2, and 1.5 times higher than those of the macrobubble-ozonation. Greater generation of hydroxyl radicals and a higher zeta potential of the bubbles were also observed in the microbubble ozonation process. The biodegradability of the wastewater was also significantly improved by microbubble-ozonation, which was ascribed to the enhanced degradation of alkanes, aromatic compounds, and the many other bio-refractory organic compounds in the wastewater. Microbubble-ozonation can thus be a more effective treatment process than traditional macrobubble-ozonation for refractory wastewater produced by the acrylic fiber manufacturing industry.
CitationMicrobubble enhanced ozonation process for advanced treatment of wastewater produced in acrylic fiber manufacturing industry 2015, 287:412 Journal of Hazardous Materials
JournalJournal of Hazardous Materials
- Enhanced sludge solubilization by microbubble ozonation.
- Authors: Chu LB, Yan ST, Xing XH, Yu AF, Sun XL, Jurcik B
- Issue date: 2008 May
- Enhanced ozonation of simulated dyestuff wastewater by microbubbles.
- Authors: Chu LB, Xing XH, Yu AF, Zhou YN, Sun XL, Jurcik B
- Issue date: 2007 Aug
- [Characteristics of acid red 3R wastewater treatment by ozone microbubbles].
- Authors: Zhang J, Du YW, Liu XJ, Zhou YW, Liu C, Yang JL, Zhang L
- Issue date: 2015 Feb
- [Combination of Microbubble Catalytic Ozonation and Biological Process for Advanced Treatment of Biotreated Coal Chemical Wastewater].
- Authors: Liu C, Zhou HZ, Zhang J, Chen XX, Zhang L, Guo YK
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 8
- Advanced treatment of oilfield production wastewater by an integration of coagulation/flotation, catalytic ozonation and biological processes.
- Authors: Chen KY, Zhang XB, Li J
- Issue date: 2016 Oct