Thermocline Regulated Seasonal Evolution of Surface Chlorophyll in the Gulf of Aden
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe Gulf of Aden, although subject to seasonally reversing monsoonal winds, has been previously reported as an oligotrophic basin during summer, with elevated chlorophyll concentrations only occurring during winter due to convective mixing. However, the Sea-Viewing Wide Field-of-View Sensor (SeaWiFS) ocean color data reveal that the Gulf of Aden also exhibits a prominent summer chlorophyll bloom and sustains elevated chlorophyll concentrations throughout the fall, and is a biophysical province distinct from the adjacent Arabian Sea. Climatological hydrographic data suggest that the thermocline, hence the nutricline, in the entire gulf is markedly shoaled by the southwest monsoon during summer and fall. Under this condition, cyclonic eddies in the gulf can effectively pump deep nutrients to the surface layer and lead to the chlorophyll bloom in late summer, and, after the transition to the northeast monsoon in fall, coastal upwelling driven by the northeasterly winds produces a pronounced increase in surface chlorophyll concentrations along the Somali coast. © 2015 Yao, Hoteit.
CitationThermocline Regulated Seasonal Evolution of Surface Chlorophyll in the Gulf of Aden 2015, 10 (3):e0119951 PLOS ONE
PublisherPublic Library of Science (PLoS)
PubMed Central IDPMC4366251
- Monitoring of ocean surface algal blooms in coastal and oceanic waters around India.
- Authors: Tholkapiyan M, Shanmugam P, Suresh T
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Remote sensing the phytoplankton seasonal succession of the Red Sea.
- Authors: Raitsos DE, Pradhan Y, Brewin RJ, Stenchikov G, Hoteit I
- Issue date: 2013
- Warming of the Eurasian landmass is making the Arabian Sea more productive.
- Authors: Goes JI, Thoppil PG, Gomes Hdo R, Fasullo JT
- Issue date: 2005 Apr 22
- Influence of monsoonal winds on chlorophyll-α distribution in the Beibu Gulf.
- Authors: Shen C, Yan Y, Zhao H, Pan J, T Devlin A
- Issue date: 2018
- Seasonal variability of chlorophyll-a and oceanographic conditions in Sabah waters in relation to Asian monsoon--a remote sensing study.
- Authors: Abdul-Hadi A, Mansor S, Pradhan B, Tan CK
- Issue date: 2013 May