Unfolding a molecular trefoil derived from a zwitterionic metallopeptide to form self-assembled nanostructures
Pochapsky, Susan Sondej
Pochapsky, Thomas C.
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Nanofabrication and Thin Film Core Lab
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Analytical Core Lab
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Materials Science and Engineering Program
Nano-fabrication, Imaging & Characterization Core Lab
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWhile used extensively by nature to control the geometry of protein structures, and dynamics of proteins, such as self-organization, hydration forces and ionic interactions received less attention for controlling the behaviour of small molecules. Here we describe the synthesis and characterization of a novel zwitterionic metallopeptide consisting of a cationic core and three distal anionic groups linked by self-assembling peptide motifs. 2D NMR spectra, total correlated spectroscopy and nuclear Overhauser effect spectroscopy, show that the molecule exhibits a three-fold rotational symmetry and adopts a folded conformation in dimethyl sulfoxide due to Coulombic forces. When hydrated in water, the molecule unfolds to act as a self-assembling building block of supramolecular nanostructures. By combining ionic interactions with the unique geometry from metal complex and hydrophobic interactions from simple peptides, we demonstrate a new and effective way to design molecules for smart materials through mimicking a sophisticated biofunctional system using a conformational switch.
CitationUnfolding a molecular trefoil derived from a zwitterionic metallopeptide to form self-assembled nanostructures 2015, 6:6165 Nature Communications
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- Responsive nanostructures from aqueous assembly of rigid-flexible block molecules.
- Authors: Kim HJ, Kim T, Lee M
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 18
- Stereochemistry and solvent role in protein folding: nuclear magnetic resonance and molecular dynamics studies of poly-L and alternating-L,D homopolypeptides in dimethyl sulfoxide.
- Authors: Srivastava KR, Kumar A, Goyal B, Durani S
- Issue date: 2011 May 26
- 1H NMR spectroscopic investigations on the conformation of amphiphilic aromatic amino acid derivatives in solution: effect of chemical architecture of amphiphiles and polarity of solvent medium.
- Authors: Vijay R, Mandal AB, Baskar G
- Issue date: 2010 Nov 4
- Self-assembly of multidomain peptides: balancing molecular frustration controls conformation and nanostructure.
- Authors: Dong H, Paramonov SE, Aulisa L, Bakota EL, Hartgerink JD
- Issue date: 2007 Oct 17
- Temperature and pH effects on biophysical and morphological properties of self-assembling peptide RADA16-I.
- Authors: Ye Z, Zhang H, Luo H, Wang S, Zhou Q, DU X, Tang C, Chen L, Liu J, Shi YK, Zhang EY, Ellis-Behnke R, Zhao X
- Issue date: 2008 Feb