Bandgap tunability at single-layer molybdenum disulphide grain boundaries
AuthorsHuang, Yu Li
Quek, Su Ying
Zheng, Yu Jie
Wee, Andrew T. S.
KAUST DepartmentMaterials Science and Engineering Program
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/346778
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwo-dimensional transition metal dichalcogenides have emerged as a new class of semiconductor materials with novel electronic and optical properties of interest to future nanoelectronics technology. Single-layer molybdenum disulphide, which represents a prototype two-dimensional transition metal dichalcogenide, has an electronic bandgap that increases with decreasing layer thickness. Using high-resolution scanning tunnelling microscopy and spectroscopy, we measure the apparent quasiparticle energy gap to be 2.40±0.05 eV for single-layer, 2.10±0.05 eV for bilayer and 1.75±0.05 eV for trilayer molybdenum disulphide, which were directly grown on a graphite substrate by chemical vapour deposition method. More interestingly, we report an unexpected bandgap tunability (as large as 0.85±0.05 eV) with distance from the grain boundary in single-layer molybdenum disulphide, which also depends on the grain misorientation angle. This work opens up new possibilities for flexible electronic and optoelectronic devices with tunable bandgaps that utilize both the control of two-dimensional layer thickness and the grain boundary engineering.
CitationBandgap tunability at single-layer molybdenum disulphide grain boundaries 2015, 6:6298 Nature Communications
- Vapour phase growth and grain boundary structure of molybdenum disulphide atomic layers.
- Authors: Najmaei S, Liu Z, Zhou W, Zou X, Shi G, Lei S, Yakobson BI, Idrobo JC, Ajayan PM, Lou J
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Transition metal chalcogenides: ultrathin inorganic materials with tunable electronic properties.
- Authors: Heine T
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 20
- 2-dimensional transition metal dichalcogenides with tunable direct band gaps: MoS₂(₁-x) Se₂x monolayers.
- Authors: Mann J, Ma Q, Odenthal PM, Isarraraz M, Le D, Preciado E, Barroso D, Yamaguchi K, von Son Palacio G, Nguyen A, Tran T, Wurch M, Nguyen A, Klee V, Bobek S, Sun D, Heinz TF, Rahman TS, Kawakami R, Bartels L
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 5
- Continuously tunable electronic structure of transition metal dichalcogenides superlattices.
- Authors: Zhao YH, Yang F, Wang J, Guo H, Ji W
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 13
- Observing grain boundaries in CVD-grown monolayer transition metal dichalcogenides.
- Authors: Ly TH, Chiu MH, Li MY, Zhao J, Perello DJ, Cichocka MO, Oh HM, Chae SH, Jeong HY, Yao F, Li LJ, Lee YH
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 25