Bandgap tunability at single-layer molybdenum disulphide grain boundaries
AuthorsHuang, Yu Li
Quek, Su Ying
Zheng, Yu Jie
Wee, Andrew T. S.
KAUST DepartmentMaterial Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2015-02-17
Print Publication Date2015-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/346778
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwo-dimensional transition metal dichalcogenides have emerged as a new class of semiconductor materials with novel electronic and optical properties of interest to future nanoelectronics technology. Single-layer molybdenum disulphide, which represents a prototype two-dimensional transition metal dichalcogenide, has an electronic bandgap that increases with decreasing layer thickness. Using high-resolution scanning tunnelling microscopy and spectroscopy, we measure the apparent quasiparticle energy gap to be 2.40±0.05 eV for single-layer, 2.10±0.05 eV for bilayer and 1.75±0.05 eV for trilayer molybdenum disulphide, which were directly grown on a graphite substrate by chemical vapour deposition method. More interestingly, we report an unexpected bandgap tunability (as large as 0.85±0.05 eV) with distance from the grain boundary in single-layer molybdenum disulphide, which also depends on the grain misorientation angle. This work opens up new possibilities for flexible electronic and optoelectronic devices with tunable bandgaps that utilize both the control of two-dimensional layer thickness and the grain boundary engineering.
CitationBandgap tunability at single-layer molybdenum disulphide grain boundaries 2015, 6:6298 Nature Communications
- Vapour phase growth and grain boundary structure of molybdenum disulphide atomic layers.
- Authors: Najmaei S, Liu Z, Zhou W, Zou X, Shi G, Lei S, Yakobson BI, Idrobo JC, Ajayan PM, Lou J
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Transition metal chalcogenides: ultrathin inorganic materials with tunable electronic properties.
- Authors: Heine T
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 20
- Continuously tunable electronic structure of transition metal dichalcogenides superlattices.
- Authors: Zhao YH, Yang F, Wang J, Guo H, Ji W
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 13
- Observing grain boundaries in CVD-grown monolayer transition metal dichalcogenides.
- Authors: Ly TH, Chiu MH, Li MY, Zhao J, Perello DJ, Cichocka MO, Oh HM, Chae SH, Jeong HY, Yao F, Li LJ, Lee YH
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 25
- Engineering Optical and Electronic Properties of WS2 by Varying the Number of Layers.
- Authors: Kim HC, Kim H, Lee JU, Lee HB, Choi DH, Lee JH, Lee WH, Jhang SH, Park BH, Cheong H, Lee SW, Chung HJ
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 28