Pore-scale simulation of fluid flow and solute dispersion in three-dimensional porous media
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/346732
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn the present work fluid flow and solute transport through porous media are described by solving the governing equations at the pore scale with finite-volume discretization. Instead of solving the simplified Stokes equation (very often employed in this context) the full Navier-Stokes equation is used here. The realistic three-dimensional porous medium is created in this work by packing together, with standard ballistic physics, irregular and polydisperse objects. Emphasis is placed on numerical issues related to mesh generation and spatial discretization, which play an important role in determining the final accuracy of the finite-volume scheme and are often overlooked. The simulations performed are then analyzed in terms of velocity distributions and dispersion rates in a wider range of operating conditions, when compared with other works carried out by solving the Stokes equation. Results show that dispersion within the analyzed porous medium is adequately described by classical power laws obtained by analytic homogenization. Eventually the validity of Fickian diffusion to treat dispersion in porous media is also assessed. © 2014 American Physical Society.
CitationPore-scale simulation of fluid flow and solute dispersion in three-dimensional porous media 2014, 90 (1) Physical Review E
PublisherAmerican Physical Society (APS)
JournalPhysical Review E
- Pore-scale modeling of dispersion in disordered porous media.
- Authors: Ovaysi S, Piri M
- Issue date: 2011 Jun 1
- Reactive transport in porous media: pore-network model approach compared to pore-scale model.
- Authors: Varloteaux C, Vu MT, Békri S, Adler PM
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- Dispersion modeling in pore networks: A comparison of common pore-scale models and alternative approaches.
- Authors: Sadeghi MA, Agnaou M, Barralet J, Gostick J
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- Langevin model for reactive transport in porous media.
- Authors: Tartakovsky AM
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- A three-dimensional non-hydrostatic coupled model for free surface - Subsurface variable - Density flows.
- Authors: Shokri N, Namin MM, Farhoudi J
- Issue date: 2018 Sep