KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2015-02-19
Print Publication Date2015-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/346700
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDefects usually play an important role in tailoring various properties of two-dimensional materials. Defects in two-dimensional monolayer molybdenum disulphide may be responsible for large variation of electric and optical properties. Here we present a comprehensive joint experiment-theory investigation of point defects in monolayer molybdenum disulphide prepared by mechanical exfoliation, physical and chemical vapour deposition. Defect species are systematically identified and their concentrations determined by aberration-corrected scanning transmission electron microscopy, and also studied by ab-initio calculation. Defect density up to 3.5 × 10 13 cm '2 is found and the dominant category of defects changes from sulphur vacancy in mechanical exfoliation and chemical vapour deposition samples to molybdenum antisite in physical vapour deposition samples. Influence of defects on electronic structure and charge-carrier mobility are predicted by calculation and observed by electric transport measurement. In light of these results, the growth of ultra-high-quality monolayer molybdenum disulphide appears a primary task for the community pursuing high-performance electronic devices.
CitationExploring atomic defects in molybdenum disulphide monolayers 2015, 6:6293 Nature Communications
PubMed Central IDPMC4346634
- Synthesis and defect investigation of two-dimensional molybdenum disulfide atomic layers.
- Authors: Najmaei S, Yuan J, Zhang J, Ajayan P, Lou J
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 20
- Hopping transport through defect-induced localized states in molybdenum disulphide.
- Authors: Qiu H, Xu T, Wang Z, Ren W, Nan H, Ni Z, Chen Q, Yuan S, Miao F, Song F, Long G, Shi Y, Sun L, Wang J, Wang X
- Issue date: 2013
- Electronic transport and device prospects of monolayer molybdenum disulphide grown by chemical vapour deposition.
- Authors: Zhu W, Low T, Lee YH, Wang H, Farmer DB, Kong J, Xia F, Avouris P
- Issue date: 2014
- Vapour phase growth and grain boundary structure of molybdenum disulphide atomic layers.
- Authors: Najmaei S, Liu Z, Zhou W, Zou X, Shi G, Lei S, Yakobson BI, Idrobo JC, Ajayan PM, Lou J
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Seeded growth of highly crystalline molybdenum disulphide monolayers at controlled locations.
- Authors: Han GH, Kybert NJ, Naylor CH, Lee BS, Ping J, Park JH, Kang J, Lee SY, Lee YH, Agarwal R, Johnson AT
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 28