Polaron pair mediated triplet generation in polymer/fullerene blends
AuthorsDimitrov, Stoichko D.
Schroeder, Bob C.
Frost, Jarvist M.
Tuladhar, Pabitra S.
Durrant, James R.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractElectron spin is a key consideration for the function of organic semiconductors in light-emitting diodes and solar cells, as well as spintronic applications relying on organic magnetoresistance. A mechanism for triplet excited state generation in such systems is by recombination of electron-hole pairs. However, the exact charge recombination mechanism, whether geminate or nongeminate and whether it involves spin-state mixing is not well understood. In this work, the dynamics of free charge separation competing with recombination to polymer triplet states is studied in two closely related polymer-fullerene blends with differing polymer fluorination and photovoltaic performance. Using time-resolved laser spectroscopic techniques and quantum chemical calculations, we show that lower charge separation in the fluorinated system is associated with the formation of bound electron-hole pairs, which undergo spin-state mixing on the nanosecond timescale and subsequent geminate recombination to triplet excitons. We find that these bound electron-hole pairs can be dissociated by electric fields.
CitationPolaron pair mediated triplet generation in polymer/fullerene blends 2015, 6:6501 Nature Communications
PubMed Central IDPMC4366531
- Ultrafast exciton dissociation followed by nongeminate charge recombination in PCDTBT:PCBM photovoltaic blends.
- Authors: Etzold F, Howard IA, Mauer R, Meister M, Kim TD, Lee KS, Baek NS, Laquai F
- Issue date: 2011 Jun 22
- The role of spin in the kinetic control of recombination in organic photovoltaics.
- Authors: Rao A, Chow PC, Gélinas S, Schlenker CW, Li CZ, Yip HL, Jen AK, Ginger DS, Friend RH
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 22
- The effect of solvent additives on morphology and excited-state dynamics in PCPDTBT:PCBM photovoltaic blends.
- Authors: Etzold F, Howard IA, Forler N, Cho DM, Meister M, Mangold H, Shu J, Hansen MR, Müllen K, Laquai F
- Issue date: 2012 Jun 27
- Geminate charge recombination in polymer/fullerene bulk heterojunction films and implications for solar cell function.
- Authors: Pal SK, Kesti T, Maiti M, Zhang F, Inganäs O, Hellström S, Andersson MR, Oswald F, Langa F, Osterman T, Pascher T, Yartsev A, Sundström V
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 8
- Geminate charge recombination in alternating polyfluorene copolymer/fullerene blends.
- Authors: De S, Pascher T, Maiti M, Jespersen KG, Kesti T, Zhang F, Inganäs O, Yartsev A, Sundström V
- Issue date: 2007 Jul 11