Function and Evolutionary Origin of Unicellular Camera-Type Eye Structure
Hwang, Jung Shan
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Computational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/346677
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe ocelloid is an extraordinary eyespot organelle found only in the dinoflagellate family Warnowiaceae. It contains retina- and lens-like structures called the retinal body and the hyalosome. The ocelloid has been an evolutionary enigma because of its remarkable resemblance to the multicellular camera-type eye. To determine if the ocelloid is functionally photoreceptive, we investigated the warnowiid dinoflagellate Erythropsidinium. Here, we show that the morphology of the retinal body changed depending on different illumination conditions and the hyalosome manifests the refractile nature. Identifying a rhodopsin gene fragment in Erythropsidinium ESTs that is expressed in the retinal body by in situ hybridization, we also show that ocelloids are actually light sensitive photoreceptors. The rhodopsin gene identified is most closely related to bacterial rhodopsins. Taken together, we suggest that the ocelloid is an intracellular camera-type eye, which might be originated from endosymbiotic origin. © 2015 Hayakawa et al.
CitationFunction and Evolutionary Origin of Unicellular Camera-Type Eye Structure 2015, 10 (3):e0118415 PLOS ONE
PublisherPublic Library of Science (PLoS)
PubMed Central IDPMC4348419
- Eye-like ocelloids are built from different endosymbiotically acquired components.
- Authors: Gavelis GS, Hayakawa S, White RA 3rd, Gojobori T, Suttle CA, Keeling PJ, Leander BS
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 9
- The function of the ocelloid and piston in the dinoflagellate Erythropsidinium (Gymnodiniales, Dinophyceae).
- Authors: Gómez F
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- The evolutionary relationship between microbial rhodopsins and metazoan rhodopsins.
- Authors: Shen L, Chen C, Zheng H, Jin L
- Issue date: 2013
- Molecular phylogeny of the ocelloid-bearing dinoflagellates erythropsidinium and warnowia (warnowiaceae, dinophyceae).
- Authors: Gómez F, López-García P, Moreira D
- Issue date: 2009 Sep-Oct
- Molecular phylogeny of ocelloid-bearing dinoflagellates (Warnowiaceae) as inferred from SSU and LSU rDNA sequences.
- Authors: Hoppenrath M, Bachvaroff TR, Handy SM, Delwiche CF, Leander BS
- Issue date: 2009 May 25