MetadataShow full item record
AbstractProgrammed cell death (PCD) is a ubiquitous genetically regulated process consisting in an activation of finely controlled signaling pathways that lead to cellular suicide. Although some aspects of PCD control appear evolutionary conserved between plants, animals and fungi, the extent of conservation remains controversial. Over the last decades, identification and characterization of several lesion mimic mutants (LMM) has been a powerful tool in the quest to unravel PCD pathways in plants. Thanks to progress in molecular genetics, mutations causing the phenotype of a large number of LMM and their related suppressors were mapped, and the identification of the mutated genes shed light on major pathways in the onset of plant PCD such as (i) the involvements of chloroplasts and light energy, (ii) the roles of sphingolipids and fatty acids, (iii) a signal perception at the plasma membrane that requires efficient membrane trafficking, (iv) secondary messengers such as ion fluxes and ROS and (v) the control of gene expression as the last integrator of the signaling pathways.
CitationTo die or not to die? Lessons from lesion mimic mutants 2015, 6 Frontiers in Plant Science
PublisherFrontiers Media SA
JournalFrontiers in Plant Science
PubMed Central IDPMC4311611
- Lesion mimic mutants: A classical, yet still fundamental approach to study programmed cell death.
- Authors: Moeder W, Yoshioka K
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- Lesion mimic mutants: keys for deciphering cell death and defense pathways in plants?
- Authors: Lorrain S, Vailleau F, Balagué C, Roby D
- Issue date: 2003 Jun
- Programmed cell death in plants: lessons from bacteria?
- Authors: Wang J, Bayles KW
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Identification and characterization of suppressor mutants of spl11- mediated cell death in rice.
- Authors: Shirsekar GS, Vega-Sanchez ME, Bordeos A, Baraoidan M, Swisshelm A, Fan J, Park CH, Leung H, Wang GL
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Programmed cell death in C. elegans, mammals and plants.
- Authors: Lord CE, Gunawardena AH
- Issue date: 2012 Aug