Wave instabilities in the presence of non vanishing background in nonlinear Schrödinger systems
KAUST DepartmentPRIMALIGHT Research Group
Electrical Engineering Program
Applied Mathematics and Computational Science Program
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/344394
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe investigate wave collapse ruled by the generalized nonlinear Schrödinger (NLS) equation in 1+1 dimensions, for localized excitations with non-zero background, establishing through virial identities a new criterion for blow-up. When collapse is arrested, a semiclassical approach allows us to show that the system can favor the formation of dispersive shock waves. The general findings are illustrated with a model of interest to both classical and quantum physics (cubic-quintic NLS equation), demonstrating a radically novel scenario of instability, where solitons identify a marginal condition between blow-up and occurrence of shock waves, triggered by arbitrarily small mass perturbations of different sign.
CitationWave instabilities in the presence of non vanishing background in nonlinear Schrödinger systems 2014, 4:7285 Scientific Reports
SponsorsWe acknowledge funding from Italian Ministry of University and Research (MIUR, grant PRIN 2012BFNWZ2) and KAUST (Award No. CRG-1-2012-FRA-005).
PublisherNature Publishing Group
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Dynamical stabilization of solitons in cubic-quintic nonlinear Schrödinger model.
- Authors: Abdullaev FKh, Garnier J
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- Diversity of solitons in a generalized nonlinear Schrödinger equation with self-steepening and higher-order dispersive and nonlinear terms.
- Authors: Fujioka J, Espinosa A
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Two-dimensional solitons and vortices in normal and anomalous dispersive media.
- Authors: Davydova TA, Yakimenko AI, Zaliznyak YA
- Issue date: 2003 Feb
- Rogue wave modes for a derivative nonlinear Schrödinger model.
- Authors: Chan HN, Chow KW, Kedziora DJ, Grimshaw RH, Ding E
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Instabilities in the two-dimensional cubic nonlinear Schrödinger equation.
- Authors: Carter JD, Segur H
- Issue date: 2003 Oct