Ultrafast generation of pseudo-magnetic field for valley excitons in WSe2 monolayers
KAUST DepartmentMaterial Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Preprint Posting Date2014-07-09
Online Publication Date2014-12-04
Print Publication Date2014-12-05
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/338569
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe valley pseudospin is a degree of freedom that emerges in atomically thin two-dimensional transition metal dichalcogenides (MX2). The capability to manipulate it, in analogy to the control of spin in spintronics, can open up exciting opportunities. Here, we demonstrate that an ultrafast and ultrahigh valley pseudo-magnetic field can be generated by using circularly polarized femtosecond pulses to selectively control the valley degree of freedom in monolayer MX2. Using ultrafast pump-probe spectroscopy, we observed a pure and valley-selective optical Stark effect in WSe2 monolayers from the nonresonant pump, resulting in an energy splitting of more than 10 milli-electron volts between the K and K′ valley exciton transitions. Our study opens up the possibility to coherently manipulate the valley polarization for quantum information applications.
CitationUltrafast generation of pseudo-magnetic field for valley excitons in WSe2 monolayers 2014, 346 (6214):1205 Science
- Ultrafast multi-level logic gates with spin-valley coupled polarization anisotropy in monolayer MoS2.
- Authors: Wang YT, Luo CW, Yabushita A, Wu KH, Kobayashi T, Chen CH, Li LJ
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 6
- Zeeman splitting via spin-valley-layer coupling in bilayer MoTe<sub>2</sub>.
- Authors: Jiang C, Liu F, Cuadra J, Huang Z, Li K, Rasmita A, Srivastava A, Liu Z, Gao WB
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 6
- Giant Valley-Zeeman Splitting from Spin-Singlet and Spin-Triplet Interlayer Excitons in WSe<sub>2</sub>/MoSe<sub>2</sub> Heterostructure.
- Authors: Wang T, Miao S, Li Z, Meng Y, Lu Z, Lian Z, Blei M, Taniguchi T, Watanabe K, Tongay S, Smirnov D, Shi SF
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 8
- Manipulation of Valley Pseudospin by Selective Spin Injection in Chiral Two-Dimensional Perovskite/Monolayer Transition Metal Dichalcogenide Heterostructures.
- Authors: Chen Y, Ma J, Liu Z, Li J, Duan X, Li D
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 24
- Exciton valley dynamics in monolayer WSe<sub>2</sub> probed by the two-color ultrafast Kerr rotation.
- Authors: Yan T, Ye J, Qiao X, Tan P, Zhang X
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 25