Recent advances in controlled synthesis of two-dimensional transition metal dichalcogenides via vapour deposition techniques
KAUST DepartmentMaterials Science and Engineering Program
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/338549
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn recent years there have been many breakthroughs in two-dimensional (2D) nanomaterials, among which the transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDs) attract significant attention owing to their unusual properties associated with their strictly defined dimensionalities. TMD materials with a generalized formula of MX2, where M is a transition metal and X is a chalcogen, represent a diverse and largely untapped source of 2D systems. Semiconducting TMD monolayers such as MoS2, MoSe2, WSe2 and WS2 have been demonstrated to be feasible for future electronics and optoelectronics. The exotic electronic properties and high specific surface areas of 2D TMDs offer unlimited potential in various fields including sensing, catalysis, and energy storage applications. Very recently, the chemical vapour deposition technique (CVD) has shown great promise to generate high-quality TMD layers with a scalable size, controllable thickness and excellent electronic properties. Wafer-scale deposition of mono to few layer TMD films has been obtained. Despite the initial success in the CVD synthesis of TMDs, substantial research studies on extending the methodology open up a new way for substitution doping, formation of monolayer alloys and producing TMD stacking structures or superlattices. In this tutorial review, we will introduce the latest development of the synthesis of monolayer TMDs by CVD approaches.
CitationRecent advances in controlled synthesis of two-dimensional transition metal dichalcogenides via vapour deposition techniques 2014 Chem. Soc. Rev.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
JournalChem. Soc. Rev.
- Transition metal dichalcogenides and beyond: synthesis, properties, and applications of single- and few-layer nanosheets.
- Authors: Lv R, Robinson JA, Schaak RE, Sun D, Sun Y, Mallouk TE, Terrones M
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 20
- Phonon and Raman scattering of two-dimensional transition metal dichalcogenides from monolayer, multilayer to bulk material.
- Authors: Zhang X, Qiao XF, Shi W, Wu JB, Jiang DS, Tan PH
- Issue date: 2015 May 7
- Exciton radiative lifetimes in two-dimensional transition metal dichalcogenides.
- Authors: Palummo M, Bernardi M, Grossman JC
- Issue date: 2015 May 13
- Progress of Large-Scale Synthesis and Electronic Device Application of Two-Dimensional Transition Metal Dichalcogenides.
- Authors: Song X, Guo Z, Zhang Q, Zhou P, Bao W, Zhang DW
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- An optical spectroscopic study on two-dimensional group-VI transition metal dichalcogenides.
- Authors: Zeng H, Cui X
- Issue date: 2015 May 7