High reproductive synchrony of Acropora (Anthozoa: Scleractinia) in the Gulf of Aqaba, Red Sea
KAUST DepartmentRed Sea Research Center (RSRC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCoral spawning in the northern Gulf of Aqaba has been reported to be asynchronous, making it almost unique when compared to other regions in the world. Here, we document the reproductive condition of Acropora corals in early June 2014 in Dahab, in the Gulf of Aqaba, 125 km south of previous studies conducted in Eilat, Israel. Seventy-eight percent of Acropora colonies from 14 species had mature eggs, indicating that most colonies will spawn on or around the June full moon, with a very high probability of multi-species synchronous spawning. Given the proximity to Eilat, we predict that a comparable sampling protocol would detect similar levels of reproductive synchrony throughout the Gulf of Aqaba consistent with the hypothesis that high levels of spawning synchrony are a feature of all speciose coral assemblages.
CitationBouwmeester J and Berumen ML. High reproductive synchrony of Acropora (Anthozoa: Scleractinia) in the Gulf of Aqaba, Red Sea [v1; ref status: approved 1, http://f1000r.es/4yh] F1000Research 2015, 4:2 (doi: 10.12688/f1000research.6004.1)
SponsorsFunding was provided by KAUST grants (URF/1/1389-01-01 and CCF/1/1973-01-01) as well as baseline research funds to MLB.
PublisherF1000 Research, Ltd.
PubMed Central IDPMC4304220
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Reproductive strategies of the coral Turbinaria reniformis in the northern Gulf of Aqaba (Red Sea).
- Authors: Rapuano H, Brickner I, Shlesinger T, Meroz-Fine E, Tamir R, Loya Y
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 14
- First record of multi-species synchronous coral spawning from Malaysia.
- Authors: Chelliah A, Amar HB, Hyde J, Yewdall K, Steinberg PD, Guest JR
- Issue date: 2015
- Macroalgae in the coral reefs of Eilat (Gulf of Aqaba, Red Sea) as a possible indicator of reef degradation.
- Authors: Bahartan K, Zibdah M, Ahmed Y, Israel A, Brickner I, Abelson A
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Ecology of coral reefs in the Gulf of Aqaba (Red Sea) influenced by pollution.
- Authors: Fishelson L
- Issue date: 1973 Mar
- Coral reproduction in Western Australia.
- Authors: Gilmour J, Speed CW, Babcock R
- Issue date: 2016