The Interface between Gd and Monolayer MoS2: A First-Principles Study
KAUST DepartmentComputational Physics and Materials Science (CPMS)
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2014-12-08
Print Publication Date2015-05
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/337171
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe analyze the electronic structure of interfaces between two-, four- and six-layer Gd(0001) and monolayer MoS2 by first-principles calculations. Strong chemical bonds shift the Fermi energy of MoS2 upwards into the conduction band. At the surface and interface the Gd f states shift to lower energy and new surface/interface Gd d states appear at the Fermi energy, which are strongly hybridized with the Mo 4d states and thus lead to a high spin-polarization (ferromagnetically ordered Mo magnetic moments of 0.15 μB). Gd therefore is an interesting candidate for spin injection into monolayer MoS2.
CitationThe Interface between Gd and Monolayer MoS2: A First-Principles Study 2014, 4:7368 Scientific Reports
SponsorsThe work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (51171126), the Key Project of the Natural Science Foundation of Tianjin City (12JCZDJC27100), the Program for New Century Excellent Talents in University (NCET-13-0409) and the Scientific Research Foundation for the Returned Overseas Chinese Scholars, State Education Ministry. Research reported in this publication was supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PubMed Central IDPMC4258683
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Controlling the magnetic and optical responses of a MoS<sub>2</sub> monolayer by lanthanide substitutional doping: a first-principles study.
- Authors: Ouma CNM, Singh S, Obodo KO, Amolo GO, Romero AH
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 27
- Adjusting band gap and charge transfer of organometallic complex adsorbed on MoS<sub>2</sub> monolayer using vertical electric-field: a first-principles investigation.
- Authors: Bui VQ, Le HM, Kawazoe Y, Kim Y
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 11
- Half metallic ferromagnets.
- Authors: Dowben P
- Issue date: 2007 Aug 8
- First-principles studies of chromium line-ordered alloys in a molybdenum disulfide monolayer.
- Authors: Andriambelaza NF, Mapasha RE, Chetty N
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 16
- Spin transport through metal-dichalcogenides layers: a study from first-principles calculations.
- Authors: Devaraj N, Tarafder K
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 10