LncRNAWiki: harnessing community knowledge in collaborative curation of human long non-coding RNAs
KAUST DepartmentComputational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLong non-coding RNAs (lncRNAs) perform a diversity of functions in numerous important biological processes and are implicated in many human diseases. In this report we present lncRNAWiki (http://lncrna.big.ac.cn), a wiki-based platform that is open-content and publicly editable and aimed at community-based curation and collection of information on human lncRNAs. Current related databases are dependent primarily on curation by experts, making it laborious to annotate the exponentially accumulated information on lncRNAs, which inevitably requires collective efforts in community-based curation of lncRNAs. Unlike existing databases, lncRNAWiki features comprehensive integration of information on human lncRNAs obtained from multiple different resources and allows not only existing lncRNAs to be edited, updated and curated by different users but also the addition of newly identified lncRNAs by any user. It harnesses community collective knowledge in collecting, editing and annotating human lncRNAs and rewards community-curated efforts by providing explicit authorship based on quantified contributions. LncRNAWiki relies on the underling knowledge of scientific community for collective and collaborative curation of human lncRNAs and thus has the potential to serve as an up-to-date and comprehensive knowledgebase for human lncRNAs.
CitationLncRNAWiki: harnessing community knowledge in collaborative curation of human long non-coding RNAs 2014 Nucleic Acids Research
SponsorsStrategic Priority Research Program of the Chinese Academy of Sciences [XDB13040500 to Z.Z.]; National Natural Science Foundation of China [31200978 to L.M.]; Base Research Fund of King Abdullah University of Science and Technology [to V.B.B.]; ‘100-Talent Program’ of Chinese Academy of Sciences [Y1SLXb1365 to Z.Z.]. Funding for open access charge: Strategic Priority Research Program of the Chinese Academy of Sciences [XDB13040000].
PublisherOxford University Press (OUP)
JournalNucleic Acids Research
PubMed Central IDPMC4383965
The following license files are associated with this item:
- RiceWiki: a wiki-based database for community curation of rice genes.
- Authors: Zhang Z, Sang J, Ma L, Wu G, Wu H, Huang D, Zou D, Liu S, Li A, Hao L, Tian M, Xu C, Wang X, Wu J, Xiao J, Dai L, Chen LL, Hu S, Yu J
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- GREENC: a Wiki-based database of plant lncRNAs.
- Authors: Paytuví Gallart A, Hermoso Pulido A, Anzar Martínez de Lagrán I, Sanseverino W, Aiese Cigliano R
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 4
- LNCipedia: a database for annotated human lncRNA transcript sequences and structures.
- Authors: Volders PJ, Helsens K, Wang X, Menten B, Martens L, Gevaert K, Vandesompele J, Mestdagh P
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- Co-LncRNA: investigating the lncRNA combinatorial effects in GO annotations and KEGG pathways based on human RNA-Seq data.
- Authors: Zhao Z, Bai J, Wu A, Wang Y, Zhang J, Wang Z, Li Y, Xu J, Li X
- Issue date: 2015
- zflncRNApedia: A Comprehensive Online Resource for Zebrafish Long Non-Coding RNAs.
- Authors: Dhiman H, Kapoor S, Sivadas A, Sivasubbu S, Scaria V
- Issue date: 2015