An Optimized Table-Top Small-Angle X-ray Scattering Set-up for the Nanoscale Structural Analysis of Soft Matter
De Caro, L.
Di Fabrizio, Enzo M.
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2014-11-10
Print Publication Date2015-05
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/334951
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe paper shows how a table top superbright microfocus laboratory X-ray source and an innovative restoring-data algorithm, used in combination, allow to analyze the super molecular structure of soft matter by means of Small Angle X-ray Scattering ex-situ experiments. The proposed theoretical approach is aimed to restore diffraction features from SAXS profiles collected from low scattering biomaterials or soft tissues, and therefore to deal with extremely noisy diffraction SAXS profiles/maps. As biological test cases we inspected: i) residues of exosomes' drops from healthy epithelial colon cell line and colorectal cancer cells; ii) collagen/human elastin artificial scaffolds developed for vascular tissue engineering applications; iii) apoferritin protein in solution. Our results show how this combination can provide morphological/structural nanoscale information to characterize new artificial biomaterials and/or to get insight into the transition between healthy and pathological tissues during the progression of a disease, or to morphologically characterize nanoscale proteins, based on SAXS data collected in a room-sized laboratory.
CitationSibillano, T., De Caro, L., Altamura, D., Siliqi, D., Ramella, M., Boccafoschi, F., . . . Giannini, C. (2014). An Optimized Table-Top Small-Angle X-ray Scattering Set-up for the Nanoscale Structural Analysis of Soft Matter. Sci. Rep., 4. doi: 10.1038/srep06985
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
- Agglomeration of proteins in acoustically levitated droplets.
- Authors: Delissen F, Leiterer J, Bienert R, Emmerling F, Thünemann AF
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- A practical guide to small angle X-ray scattering (SAXS) of flexible and intrinsically disordered proteins.
- Authors: Kikhney AG, Svergun DI
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 14
- Six-dimensional real and reciprocal space small-angle X-ray scattering tomography.
- Authors: Schaff F, Bech M, Zaslansky P, Jud C, Liebi M, Guizar-Sicairos M, Pfeiffer F
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 19
- Structural analysis of intrinsically disordered proteins by small-angle X-ray scattering.
- Authors: Bernadó P, Svergun DI
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- Further application of size-exclusion chromatography combined with small-angle X-ray scattering optics for characterization of biological macromolecules.
- Authors: Watanabe Y, Inoko Y
- Issue date: 2011 Feb