Hydrogen production by Tuning the Photonic Band Gap with the Electronic Band Gap of TiO2
AuthorsWaterhouse, G. I. N.
Wahab, A. K.
Anjum, Dalaver H.
KAUST DepartmentImaging and Characterization Core Lab
Online Publication Date2013-10-10
Print Publication Date2013-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/334595
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTuning the photonic band gap (PBG) to the electronic band gap (EBG) of Au/TiO2 catalysts resulted in considerable enhancement of the photocatalytic water splitting to hydrogen under direct sunlight. Au/TiO2 (PBG-357 nm) photocatalyst exhibited superior photocatalytic performance under both UV and sunlight compared to the Au/TiO2 (PBG-585 nm) photocatalyst and both are higher than Au/TiO2 without the 3 dimensionally ordered macro-porous structure materials. The very high photocatalytic activity is attributed to suppression of a fraction of electron-hole recombination route due to the co-incidence of the PBG with the EBG of TiO2 These materials that maintain their activity with very small amount of sacrificial agents (down to 0.5 vol.% of ethanol) are poised to find direct applications because of their high activity, low cost of the process, simplicity and stability.
CitationWaterhouse GIN, Wahab AK, Al-Oufi M, Jovic V, Anjum DH, et al. (2013) Hydrogen production by Tuning the Photonic Band Gap with the Electronic Band Gap of TiO2. Sci Rep 3. doi:10.1038/srep02849.
PubMed Central IDPMC3794377
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
- Nitrogen-fluorine co-doped titania inverse opals for enhanced solar light driven photocatalysis.
- Authors: Rahul TK, Sandhyarani N
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 21
- Surface plasmon resonance enhanced direct Z-scheme TiO<sub>2</sub>/ZnTe/Au nanocorncob heterojunctions for efficient photocatalytic overall water splitting.
- Authors: Zhang W, Hu Y, Yan C, Hong D, Chen R, Xue X, Yang S, Tian Y, Tie Z, Jin Z
- Issue date: 2019 May 9
- Enhanced photocatalytic activity for H2 evolution under irradiation of UV-vis light by Au-modified nitrogen-doped TiO2.
- Authors: Zhao W, Ai Z, Dai J, Zhang M
- Issue date: 2014
- Synergistic effect of double-shelled and sandwiched TiO₂@Au@C hollow spheres with enhanced visible-light-driven photocatalytic activity.
- Authors: Cai J, Wu X, Li S, Zheng F, Zhu L, Lai Z
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 18
- Synthesis of scaly Sn3O4/TiO2 nanobelt heterostructures for enhanced UV-visible light photocatalytic activity.
- Authors: Chen G, Ji S, Sang Y, Chang S, Wang Y, Hao P, Claverie J, Liu H, Yu G
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 21