Guerra-Assunção, José Afonso
Glynn, Judith R.
Clark, Taane G.
KAUST DepartmentPathogen Genomics Laboratory
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTuberculosis (TB) caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis (Mtb) is the second major cause of death from an infectious disease worldwide. Recent advances in DNA sequencing are leading to the ability to generate whole genome information in clinical isolates of M. tuberculosis complex (MTBC). The identification of informative genetic variants such as phylogenetic markers and those associated with drug resistance or virulence will help barcode Mtb in the context of epidemiological, diagnostic and clinical studies. Mtb genomic datasets are increasingly available as raw sequences, which are potentially difficult and computer intensive to process, and compare across studies. Here we have processed the raw sequence data (>1500 isolates, eight studies) to compile a catalogue of SNPs (n = 74,039, 63% non-synonymous, 51.1% in more than one isolate, i.e. non-private), small indels (n = 4810) and larger structural variants (n = 800). We have developed the PolyTB web-based tool (http://pathogenseq.lshtm.ac.uk/polytb) to visualise the resulting variation and important meta-data (e.g. in silico inferred strain-types, location) within geographical map and phylogenetic views. This resource will allow researchers to identify polymorphisms within candidate genes of interest, as well as examine the genomic diversity and distribution of strains. PolyTB source code is freely available to researchers wishing to develop similar tools for their pathogen of interest. 2014 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
CitationColl F, Preston M, Guerra-Assunção JA, Hill-Cawthorn G, Harris D, et al. (2014) PolyTB: A genomic variation map for Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Tuberculosis 94: 346-354. doi:10.1016/j.tube.2014.02.005.
PubMed Central IDPMC4066953
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Open Access funded by Medical Research Council
- PhyTB: Phylogenetic tree visualisation and sample positioning for M. tuberculosis.
- Authors: Benavente ED, Coll F, Furnham N, McNerney R, Glynn JR, Campino S, Pain A, Mohareb FR, Clark TG
- Issue date: 2015 May 13
- [Future prospects of molecular epidemiology in tuberculosis].
- Authors: Matsumoto T, Iwamoto T
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Whole Genome Sequencing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis Isolates From Extrapulmonary Sites.
- Authors: Sharma K, Verma R, Advani J, Chatterjee O, Solanki HS, Sharma A, Varma S, Modi M, Ray P, Mukherjee KK, Sharma M, Dhillion MS, Suar M, Chatterjee A, Pandey A, Prasad TSK, Gowda H
- Issue date: 2017 Jul
- Genomic diversity among drug sensitive and multidrug resistant isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosis with identical DNA fingerprints.
- Authors: Niemann S, Köser CU, Gagneux S, Plinke C, Homolka S, Bignell H, Carter RJ, Cheetham RK, Cox A, Gormley NA, Kokko-Gonzales P, Murray LJ, Rigatti R, Smith VP, Arends FP, Cox HS, Smith G, Archer JA
- Issue date: 2009 Oct 12
- SpolPred: rapid and accurate prediction of Mycobacterium tuberculosis spoligotypes from short genomic sequences.
- Authors: Coll F, Mallard K, Preston MD, Bentley S, Parkhill J, McNerney R, Martin N, Clark TG
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 15