Pachyseris inattesa sp. n. (Cnidaria, Anthozoa, Scleractinia): A new reef coral species from the red sea and its phylogenetic relationships
Article - Full Text
Supplemental File 1
Supplemental File 2
Supplemental File 3
Supplemental File 4
AuthorsTerraneo, Tullia Isotta
Berumen, Michael L.
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Marine Science Program
Red Sea Research Center (RSRC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/334564
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA new scleractinian coral species, Pachyseris inattesa sp. n., is described from the Red Sea. Despite a superficial resemblance with some species in the agariciid genus Leptoseris with which it has been previously confused, P. inattesa sp. n. has micro-morphological characters typical of the genus Pachyseris. This genus, once part of the Agariciidae, is comprised of five extant species and is widely distributed throughout the tropical Indo-Pacific. It is currently incertae sedis as a result of recent molecular analysis and appears to be closely related to the Euphylliidae. A molecular phylogenetic reconstruction including P. inattesa sp. n., the genus type species P. rugosa, and P. speciosa, all present in the Red Sea, was performed using the mitochondrial intergenic spacer between COI and 16S-rRNA. The results confirm that P. inattesa sp. n. is a monophyletic lineage closely related to the other Pachyseris species examined. © Tullia I. Terraneo et al.
CitationTerraneo TI, Berumen ML, Arrigoni R, Waheed Z, Bouwmeester J, et al. (2014) Pachyseris inattesa sp. n. (Cnidaria, Anthozoa, Scleractinia): a new reef coral species from the Red Sea and its phylogenetic relationships. ZooKeys 433: 1-30. doi:10.3897/zookeys.433.8036.
PubMed Central IDPMC4141178
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
- Cyphastreakausti sp. n. (Cnidaria, Anthozoa, Scleractinia), a new species of reef coral from the Red Sea.
- Authors: Bouwmeester J, Benzoni F, Baird AH, Berumen ML
- Issue date: 2015
- Unexpected diversity and new species in the sponge-Parazoanthidae association in southern Japan.
- Authors: Montenegro J, Sinniger F, Reimer JD
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- A comprehensive phylogenetic analysis of the Scleractinia (Cnidaria, Anthozoa) based on mitochondrial CO1 sequence data.
- Authors: Kitahara MV, Cairns SD, Stolarski J, Blair D, Miller DJ
- Issue date: 2010 Jul 8
- Species delimitation in the coral genus Goniopora (Scleractinia, Poritidae) from the Saudi Arabian Red Sea.
- Authors: Terraneo TI, Benzoni F, Arrigoni R, Berumen ML
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Forever in the dark: the cave-dwelling azooxanthellate reef coral Leptoseris troglodyta sp. n. (Scleractinia, Agariciidae).
- Authors: Hoeksema BW
- Issue date: 2012