The submarine volcano eruption off El Hierro Island: Effects on the scattering migrant biota and the evolution of the pelagic communities
Garijo, Juan Carlos
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Marine Science Program
Red Sea Research Center (RSRC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/334538
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe submarine volcano eruption off El Hierro Island (Canary Islands) on 10 October 2011 promoted dramatic perturbation of the water column leading to changes in the distribution of pelagic fauna. To study the response of the scattering biota, we combined acoustic data with hydrographic profiles and concurrent sea surface turbidity indexes from satellite imagery. We also monitored changes in the plankton and nekton communities through the eruptive and post-eruptive phases. Decrease of oxygen, acidification, rising temperature and deposition of chemicals in shallow waters resulted in a reduction of epipelagic stocks and a disruption of diel vertical migration (nocturnal ascent) of mesopelagic organisms. Furthermore, decreased light levels at depth caused by extinction in the volcanic plume resulted in a significant shallowing of the deep acoustic scattering layer. Once the eruption ceased, the distribution and abundances of the pelagic biota returned to baseline levels. There was no evidence of a volcano-induced bloom in the plankton community. © 2014 Ariza et al.
CitationAriza A, Kaartvedt S, Røstad A, Garijo JC, Arístegui J, et al. (2014) The Submarine Volcano Eruption off El Hierro Island: Effects on the Scattering Migrant Biota and the Evolution of the Pelagic Communities. PLoS ONE 9: e102354. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0102354.
PublisherPublic Library of Science (PLoS)
PubMed Central IDPMC4105617
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/) , which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
- The submarine volcano eruption at the island of El Hierro: physical-chemical perturbation and biological response.
- Authors: Fraile-Nuez E, González-Dávila M, Santana-Casiano JM, Arístegui J, Alonso-González IJ, Hernández-León S, Blanco MJ, Rodríguez-Santana A, Hernández-Guerra A, Gelado-Caballero MD, Eugenio F, Marcello J, de Armas D, Domínguez-Yanes JF, Montero MF, Laetsch DR, Vélez-Belchí P, Ramos A, Ariza AV, Comas-Rodríguez I, Benítez-Barrios VM
- Issue date: 2012
- Transient changes in bacterioplankton communities induced by the submarine volcanic eruption of El Hierro (Canary Islands).
- Authors: Ferrera I, Arístegui J, González JM, Montero MF, Fraile-Nuez E, Gasol JM
- Issue date: 2015
- The natural ocean acidification and fertilization event caused by the submarine eruption of El Hierro.
- Authors: Santana-Casiano JM, González-Dávila M, Fraile-Nuez E, de Armas D, González AG, Domínguez-Yanes JF, Escánez J
- Issue date: 2013
- Lack of impact of the El Hierro (Canary Islands) submarine volcanic eruption on the local phytoplankton community.
- Authors: Gómez-Letona M, Arístegui J, Ramos AG, Montero MF, Coca J
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 16
- Influence of the submarine volcanic eruption off El Hierro (Canary Islands) on the mesopelagic cephalopod's metal content.
- Authors: Lozano-Bilbao E, Gutiérrez ÁJ, Hardisson A, Rubio C, González-Weller D, Aguilar N, Escánez A, Espinosa JM, Canales P, Lozano G
- Issue date: 2018 Apr