Order-disorder phase transitions in the two-dimensional semiconducting transition metal dichalcogenide alloys Mo1−xWxX2 (X = S, Se, and Te)
KAUST DepartmentMaterials Science and Engineering Program
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/333556
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA combination of density functional theory, an empirical model, and Monte Carlo simulations is used to shed light on the evolution of the atomic distribution in the two-dimensional semiconducting transition metal dichalcogenide alloys Mo1−xWxX2 (X = S, Se, and Te) as a function of the W concentration and temperature. Both random and ordered phases are discovered and the origin of the phase transitions is clarified. While the empirical model predicts at x = 1/3 and 2/3 ordered alloys, Monte Carlo simulations suggest that they only exist at low temperature due to a small energetic preference of Mo-X-W over Mo-X-Mo and W-X-W interactions, explaining the experimental observation of random alloy Mo1−xWxS2. Negative formation energies point to a high miscibility. Tunability of the band edges and band gaps by alteration of the W concentration gives rise to a broad range of applications.
CitationGan, L.-Y., Zhang, Q., Zhao, Y.-J., Cheng, Y., & Schwingenschlögl, U. (2014). Order-disorder phase transitions in the two-dimensional semiconducting transition metal dichalcogenide alloys Mo1−xWxX2 (X = S, Se, and Te). Sci. Rep., 4. doi: 10.1038/srep06691
SponsorsThis work was supported by a KAUST CRG grant and computational resources were provided by KAUST HPC. Research reported in this publication was supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
- Tunable band gap photoluminescence from atomically thin transition-metal dichalcogenide alloys.
- Authors: Chen Y, Xi J, Dumcenco DO, Liu Z, Suenaga K, Wang D, Shuai Z, Huang YS, Xie L
- Issue date: 2013 May 28
- Anisotropic Ordering in 1T' Molybdenum and Tungsten Ditelluride Layers Alloyed with Sulfur and Selenium.
- Authors: Lin J, Zhou J, Zuluaga S, Yu P, Gu M, Liu Z, Pantelides ST, Suenaga K
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 23
- Chemical Vapor Deposition of Monolayer Mo(1-x)W(x)S2 Crystals with Tunable Band Gaps.
- Authors: Wang Z, Liu P, Ito Y, Ning S, Tan Y, Fujita T, Hirata A, Chen M
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 22
- Structural stability and intriguing electronic properties of two-dimensional transition metal dichalcogenide alloys.
- Authors: Yuan X, Yang M, Wang L, Li Y
- Issue date: 2017 May 31
- Spontaneous Formation of Atomically Thin Stripes in Transition Metal Dichalcogenide Monolayers.
- Authors: Azizi A, Wang Y, Lin Z, Wang K, Elias AL, Terrones M, Crespi VH, Alem N
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 9