Distribution and diel vertical movements of mesopelagic scattering layers in the Red Sea
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe mesopelagic zone of the Red Sea represents an extreme environment due to low food concentrations, high temperatures and low oxygen waters. Nevertheless, a 38 kHz echosounder identified at least four distinct scattering layers during the daytime, of which the 2 deepest layers resided entirely within the mesopelagic zone. Two of the acoustic layers were found above a mesopelagic oxygen minimum zone (OMZ), one layer overlapped with the OMZ, and one layer was found below the OMZ. Almost all organisms in the deep layers migrated to the near-surface waters during the night. Backscatter from a 300 kHz lowered Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler indicated a layer of zooplankton within the OMZ. They carried out DVM, yet a portion remained at mesopelagic depths during the night. Our acoustic measurements showed that the bulk of the acoustic backscatter was restricted to waters shallower than 800 m, suggesting that most of the biomass in the Red Sea resides above this depth. 2012 The Author(s).
CitationKlevjer TA, Torres DJ, Kaartvedt S (2012) Distribution and diel vertical movements of mesopelagic scattering layers in the Red Sea. Marine Biology 159: 1833-1841. doi:10.1007/s00227-012-1973-y.
PubMed Central IDPMC3873044
- Large scale patterns in vertical distribution and behaviour of mesopelagic scattering layers.
- Authors: Klevjer TA, Irigoien X, Røstad A, Fraile-Nuez E, Benítez-Barrios VM, Kaartvedt S
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 27
- Oxygen minimum zone: An important oceanographic habitat for deep-diving northern elephant seals, <i>Mirounga angustirostris</i>.
- Authors: Naito Y, Costa DP, Adachi T, Robinson PW, Peterson SH, Mitani Y, Takahashi A
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Diel dynamics and coupling of heterotrophic prokaryotes and dissolved organic matter in epipelagic and mesopelagic waters of the central Red Sea.
- Authors: García FC, Calleja ML, Al-Otaibi N, Røstad A, Morán XAG
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 26
- Trophic ecology of Lampanyctus crocodilus on north-west Mediterranean Sea slopes in relation to reproductive cycle and environmental variables.
- Authors: Fanelli E, Papiol V, Cartes JE, Rodriguez-Romeu O
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Vertical distribution and diel vertical migration of krill beneath snow-covered ice and in ice-free waters.
- Authors: Vestheim H, Røstad A, Klevjer TA, Solberg I, Kaartvedt S
- Issue date: 2014 Mar