Seasonal variations in vertical migration of glacier lanternfish, Benthosema glaciale
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Marine Science Program
Red Sea Research Center (RSRC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/325452
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe seasonal variations in glacier lanternfish (Benthosema glaciale) vertical distribution and diel vertical migration (DVM) were studied by use of a bottom-mounted upward-facing 38 kHz echo sounder deployed at 392 m depth and cabled to shore in Masfjorden (~6052?N, ~524?E), Norway. Acoustic data from July 2007-October 2008 were analyzed, and scattering layers below ~220 m during daytime were attributed to glacier lanternfish based on net sampling in this, and previous studies, as well as from analysis of the acoustic data. At these depths, three different diel behavioral strategies were apparent: normal diel vertical migration (NDVM), inverse DVM (IDVM), and no DVM (NoDVM). NoDVM was present all year, while IDVM was present in autumn and winter, and NDVM was present during spring and summer. The seasonal differences in DVM behavior seem to correlate with previously established seasonal distribution of prey. We hypothesize that in regions with seasonally migrating zooplankton, such as where calanoid copepods overwinter at depth, similar plasticity in DVM behavior might occur in other populations of lanternfishes. 2012 The Author(s).
CitationDypvik E, Røstad A, Kaartvedt S (2012) Seasonal variations in vertical migration of glacier lanternfish, Benthosema glaciale. Marine Biology 159: 1673-1683. doi:10.1007/s00227-012-1953-2.
PubMed Central IDPMC3873041
- Inverse vertical migration and feeding in glacier lanternfish (<i>Benthosema glaciale</i>).
- Authors: Dypvik E, Klevjer TA, Kaartvedt S
- Issue date: 2012
- Vertical distribution and diel vertical migration of krill beneath snow-covered ice and in ice-free waters.
- Authors: Vestheim H, Røstad A, Klevjer TA, Solberg I, Kaartvedt S
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Diel vertical migration of Arctic zooplankton during the polar night.
- Authors: Berge J, Cottier F, Last KS, Varpe Ø, Leu E, Søreide J, Eiane K, Falk-Petersen S, Willis K, Nygård H, Vogedes D, Griffiths C, Johnsen G, Lorentzen D, Brierley AS
- Issue date: 2009 Feb 23
- Temporal and spatial changes in mercury concentrations in the North Atlantic as indicated by museum specimens of glacier lanternfish Benthosema glaciale (Pisces: Myctophidae).
- Authors: Martins I, Costa V, Porteiro FM, Santos RS
- Issue date: 2006 Oct
- Large scale patterns in vertical distribution and behaviour of mesopelagic scattering layers.
- Authors: Klevjer TA, Irigoien X, Røstad A, Fraile-Nuez E, Benítez-Barrios VM, Kaartvedt S
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 27