Inverse vertical migration and feeding in glacier lanternfish (Benthosema glaciale)
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Marine Science Program
Red Sea Research Center (RSRC)
Online Publication Date2011-11-08
Print Publication Date2012-02
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/325441
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA bottom-mounted upward-facing 38-kHz echo sounder was deployed at ~400 m and cabled to shore in Masfjorden (~60 52?N, ~5 24?E), Norway. The scattering layers seen during autumn (September-October) 2008 were identified by trawling. Glacier lanternfish (Benthosema glaciale) were mainly distributed below ~200 m and displayed three different diel behavioral strategies: normal diel vertical migration (NDVM), inverse DVM (IDVM) and no DVM (NoDVM). The IDVM group was the focus of this study. It consisted of 2-year and older individuals migrating to ~200-270 m during the daytime, while descending back to deeper than ~270 m during the night. Stomach content analysis revealed increased feeding during the daytime on overwintering Calanus sp. We conclude that visually searching glacier lanternfish performing IDVM benefit from the faint daytime light in mid-waters when preying on overwintering Calanus sp. 2011 The Author(s).
CitationDypvik E, Klevjer TA, Kaartvedt S (2011) Inverse vertical migration and feeding in glacier lanternfish (Benthosema glaciale). Marine Biology 159: 443-453. doi:10.1007/s00227-011-1822-4.
PubMed Central IDPMC3873071
- Seasonal variations in vertical migration of glacier lanternfish, <i>Benthosema glaciale.</i>
- Authors: Dypvik E, Røstad A, Kaartvedt S
- Issue date: 2012
- Vertical distribution and diel vertical migration of krill beneath snow-covered ice and in ice-free waters.
- Authors: Vestheim H, Røstad A, Klevjer TA, Solberg I, Kaartvedt S
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Temporal and spatial changes in mercury concentrations in the North Atlantic as indicated by museum specimens of glacier lanternfish Benthosema glaciale (Pisces: Myctophidae).
- Authors: Martins I, Costa V, Porteiro FM, Santos RS
- Issue date: 2006 Oct
- Diel vertical migration behaviour of the Northern krill (Meganyctiphanes norvegica Sars).
- Authors: Kaartvedt S
- Issue date: 2010
- The impact of diel vertical migration on fatty acid patterns and allocation in <i>Daphnia magna</i>.
- Authors: Hahn MA, Von Elert E
- Issue date: 2020