Microsoft Word 2007
Supplemental File 1
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe investigate the generation of the screeching sound commonly heard during tape peeling using synchronised high-speed video and audio acquisition. We determine the peak frequencies in the audio spectrum and, in addition to a peak frequency at the upper end of the audible range (around 20 kHz), we find an unexpected strong sound with a high-frequency far above the audible range, typically around 50 kHz. Using the corresponding video data, the origins of the key frequencies are confirmed as being due to the substructure "fracture" bands, which we herein observe in both high-speed continuous peeling motions and in the slip phases for stick-slip peeling motions.
CitationMarston JO, Riker PW, Thoroddsen ST (2014) Generation of ultra-sound during tape peeling. Sci Rep 4. doi:10.1038/srep04326.
PublisherNature Publishing Group
PubMed Central IDPMC3961747
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
- Stick-slip substructure in rapid tape peeling.
- Authors: Thoroddsen ST, Nguyen HD, Takehara K, Etoh TG
- Issue date: 2010 Oct
- Intermittent stick-slip dynamics during the peeling of an adhesive tape from a roller.
- Authors: Cortet PP, Dalbe MJ, Guerra C, Cohen C, Ciccotti M, Santucci S, Vanel L
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- Inertial and stick-slip regimes of unstable adhesive tape peeling.
- Authors: Dalbe MJ, Villey R, Ciccotti M, Santucci S, Cortet PP, Vanel L
- Issue date: 2016 May 18
- Multiscale Stick-Slip Dynamics of Adhesive Tape Peeling.
- Authors: Dalbe MJ, Cortet PP, Ciccotti M, Vanel L, Santucci S
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 18
- Peeling-angle dependence of the stick-slip instability during adhesive tape peeling.
- Authors: Dalbe MJ, Santucci S, Vanel L, Cortet PP
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 28